Hybrid strange steering possible issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YWGBrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys,
First time poster here. Long story short i inherited a Yukon Hybrid for myself and love it , however not knowing much about them im not sure if i do have a steering issue or that is how they drive. It seems there is very limited feedback from the steering wheel. What i mean by that my wife has a x6 with electrci steering and the steering will return for example i turn right and it kicks back or what not. In the denali if i turn right and leave the wheel it will hold it in that position all the way and i can do donuts with my hands of the wheel. I do know the PSM and the Rack was recently replaced. I do not have any codes or calibration issues but i do find it super strange how the truck drives. The steering is not stiff its smooth like butter so not sure looking for some help.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe these are some of the first electric racks gm used and if my yukon is anything like yours, the thing turns sharper than a small car. to the point mine feels like it over centers a bit at the max steering angle and doesn't really wanna return very quickly. reminds me of the old drift car days of mods for more angle before they offered offset rack kits to compensate.

does it seem to return to center if you only turned say half to 3/4 of full lock? if so, that's about how mine is. you could have the alignment checked, caster has a big effect on the steering wheel self steer too. but I will say how easy the steering is was something I noticed on the first drive too.

do you know why they needed to replace the rack? I've only read of one other needing a rack, and that was the electric motor broke a shaft. if I remember right the guy was able to pull a motor from a junk yard rack and swap it without replacing the whole rack. which seems quite involved from what I've seen looking around under the truck.

OP
OP
Y

YWGBrid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe these are some of the first electric racks gm used and if my yukon is anything like yours, the thing turns sharper than a small car. to the point mine feels like it over centers a bit at the max steering angle and doesn't really wanna return very quickly. reminds me of the old drift car days of mods for more angle before they offered offset rack kits to compensate.

does it seem to return to center if you only turned say half to 3/4 of full lock? if so, that's about how mine is. you could have the alignment checked, caster has a big effect on the steering wheel self steer too. but I will say how easy the steering is was something I noticed on the first drive too.

do you know why they needed to replace the rack? I've only read of one other needing a rack, and that was the electric motor broke a shaft. if I remember right the guy was able to pull a motor from a junk yard rack and swap it without replacing the whole rack. which seems quite involved from what I've seen looking around under the truck.
Nope does not return to the center at all what so ever i have too manualy adjust it. I have had the alignment checked its all green.

In terms of why the rack was replaced, well the customer had it at some shop and the rack was not bolted on, they ended up tightening the rack and breaking it. The whole problem indeed was the elctrical motor shaft. I ended up swaping a whole rack with a motor and programing it no issues there. Customer ended up saying she did not want the vehicle so we bought it as a shop truck. I do like the truck just never really experienced the steering on a hybrid like this. It drives straight no other issues just thought it was a bit odd.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah that doesn't seem right.. mine returns from about 75% of the total angle like any normal car. Just once you go full lock, there's a bit of an over center. I consider it normal because these suvs turn crazy sharp radius wise. I think they all do atleast from this Gen to newer since they are 95% used as soccor mom mini vans and need to park easily.

since you have access to a shop, I'd check it out. I have a feeling something is binding up in there. what I'm not sure. maybe pull pop a tie rod and make sure the ball joints aren't binding? only real experience I have with binding steering is crazy bad alignment, or the steering shaft rubbing on header tubes, which I know you don't have.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
First time poster here. Long story short i inherited a Yukon Hybrid for myself and love it , however not knowing much about them im not sure if i do have a steering issue or that is how they drive. It seems there is very limited feedback from the steering wheel. What i mean by that my wife has a x6 with electrci steering and the steering will return for example i turn right and it kicks back or what not. In the denali if i turn right and leave the wheel it will hold it in that position all the way and i can do donuts with my hands of the wheel. I do know the PSM and the Rack was recently replaced. I do not have any codes or calibration issues but i do find it super strange how the truck drives. The steering is not stiff its smooth like butter so not sure looking for some help.
mine does it too
if it didn't do it that would be strange...

100% normal

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Good thread, good info and interesting for the non hybrid owner.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe this will help. here's a quick clip of mine. Hopefully you can tell. if you turn it for a normal like 90deg parking lot turn then it returns like a normal car. but if you stop, turn it fully against the locks and go slow it will stay against the locks for a full u-turn. there's zero feel of something stiff or dragging in the wheel, it just has so much steer angle it over centers just a bit against the locks. anything more than this and I'd consider you have a issue of something binding to look for. especially if the rack as been replaced.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the sway bar most likely one of bolts/brackets got busted and isn't present or one side is hanging flapping around in the wind

it got worse after someone hit it in the parking lot... for me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019