Deciding on how to clean up rust (video included)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MartyMcFLy

Reaction score
I recently got a 2003 chevy suburban 2500 w/ the 8.1L vortec. One of the big deciding factors was the engine...it's hard to find nowadays and for cheap.

Video:
excuse the editing, I threw it together really quick.

Anyway, it is pretty rusty underneath and on the rocker panels and rear quarter panels. I'm trying to figure out IF and HOW I would go about cleaning the rust to the best of my ability without spending a ton of money. I'm willing to spend around $1000 to get the rust at least 80% removed from the undercarriage (sandblasting?). I can probably cut out the rusty panels myself and weld new ones.

At this point, do you think it's worth it to do all the work or am I better off just selling it? The main thing is I don't want it falling apart on me if I'm going to use it frequently for daily driving and hauling things. I'll at least try to fix the panels if I do sell, so it will at least look good.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if you do nothing, it will last a while. But it will spread. If you wanted to blast it, if use a softer media. There's allot of wiring beneath.
As for rockers etc, tons of you tube vids. If you have the time and some metal working skills. I think your price tag is reasonable

OP
OP
MartyMcFLy

MartyMcFLy

Reaction score
Even if you do nothing, it will last a while. But it will spread. If you wanted to blast it, if use a softer media. There's allot of wiring beneath.
As for rockers etc, tons of you tube vids. If you have the time and some metal working skills. I think your price tag is reasonable

Would you have any idea how much it would be to remove the body from the frame and sandblast the frame and undercarriage of the body?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645