Decided to lower the rear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have decided to lower the rear of my 2011 Tahoe to level it out. I plan on doing a mix and match kit that includes the following parts. My Tahoe currently is sitting at factory height with AcDelco front and rear shocks/struts with around 30k on them. It has the ZW7 suspension on it. I am hoping to get a more level look and a slightly smoother ride from the rear with this setup. Also I do realize I can get the Mcgaughys 2 inch rear lowering kit that comes with the shock extenders and 2 inch lowering springs and I could use my factory shocks but I have heard it still rides a little stiff like my current suspension is. Does anyone have any experience with either of these setups?
Thanks again for the help everyone.

1. Bilstein B6 4600 rear shocks.
Part Number: 24-186933.

2. Mcgaughys rear shock extenders
Part Number: 33070.

3. Peddlers 2 inch rear lowering springs
Part Number: PED-2425.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have decided to lower the rear of my 2011 Tahoe to level it out. I plan on doing a mix and match kit that includes the following parts. My Tahoe currently is sitting at factory height with AcDelco front and rear shocks/struts with around 30k on them. It has the ZW7 suspension on it. I am hoping to get a more level look and a slightly smoother ride from the rear with this setup. Also I do realize I can get the Mcgaughys 2 inch rear lowering kit that comes with the shock extenders and 2 inch lowering springs and I could use my factory shocks but I have heard it still rides a little stiff like my current suspension is. Does anyone have any experience with either of these setups?
Thanks again for the help everyone.

1. Bilstein B6 4600 rear shocks.
Part Number: 24-186933.

2. Mcgaughys rear shock extenders
Part Number: 33070.

3. Peddlers 2 inch rear lowering springs
Part Number: PED-2425.

I have no experience with the McG springs, but I know Pedders makes quality stuff. They advertise that spring as giving a "sporty" ride, so I'd assume it'd be a little firmer than the stock ride. Or, if you feel that your stock ride is firm, the Pedders might feel the same or more firm. You heard the McG 2" coils ride a little stiff, but is that with the factory shocks or another brand or style? Shocks can make all the difference. You might find the combination of the McG or Pedders coils with the Bilsteins is just right. Try Googling the McG and Pedders coil part numbers along with key terms such as "too soft" or "too firm", etc. too see if any discussions show up.

Bilstein 4600s should be good, but you'd lose the self-leveling shocks. This isn't a concern if you don't tow, or tow much. You could always add helper bags to the coils, though.

You're gonna have to get feedback from someone that has 2" drop coils to determine what, if any, brand rides how you want. Another option is to shop specifically for a softer spring, even if it lowers more than the 2" that you want. You can simply add a spacer to bring it back up to a 2" net drop. Add in the shock extenders and you'd have your desired drop, softer ride and full amount of travel.

OP
OP
Brandon2489

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with the McG springs, but I know Pedders makes quality stuff. They advertise that spring as giving a "sporty" ride, so I'd assume it'd be a little firmer than the stock ride. Or, if you feel that your stock ride is firm, the Pedders might feel the same or more firm. You heard the McG 2" coils ride a little stiff, but is that with the factory shocks or another brand or style? Shocks can make all the difference. You might find the combination of the McG or Pedders coils with the Bilsteins is just right. Try Googling the McG and Pedders coil part numbers along with key terms such as "too soft" or "too firm", etc. too see if any discussions show up.

Bilstein 4600s should be good, but you'd lose the self-leveling shocks. This isn't a concern if you don't tow, or tow much. You could always add helper bags to the coils, though.

You're gonna have to get feedback from someone that has 2" drop coils to determine what, if any, brand rides how you want. Another option is to shop specifically for a softer spring, even if it lowers more than the 2" that you want. You can simply add a spacer to bring it back up to a 2" net drop. Add in the shock extenders and you'd have your desired drop, softer ride and full amount of travel.
Thanks for the feed back. I will be trying a couple of setups at this point. I will report back with my findings.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back. I will be trying a couple of setups at this point. I will report back with my findings.
Are you trying to do this without doing the free travel mod? Just curious. I am following along here how you make out and what works.

OP
OP
Brandon2489

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm doing this without the free travel mod. I don't want to go lower than 2 inches. From what I have read I shouldn't have to do the travel mod if only going 2 inches.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm doing this without the free travel mod. I don't want to go lower than 2 inches. From what I have read I shouldn't have to do the travel mod if only going 2 inches.

Correct. You should have plenty of travel and dampening to not compress the suspension enough to smash the bump stops. If you routinely carry weight or hit some large dips that make it bottom out too hard, you could trim the rubber down an inch and that should be plenty of unobstructed travel.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Mcg springs in 3 inch. The ride didn’t change much from stock but when I installed new Billsteins it got really soft.

OP
OP
Brandon2489

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Mcg springs in 3 inch. The ride didn’t change much from stock but when I installed new Billsteins it got really soft.
Soft as in made it too bouncy or just a comfortable daily driver? Thanks for any input

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

4600s? I've been debating if I should get those or the 5100s for the front. I'm only assuming they'd be similar characteristically between the series, regardless of front or rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos