Dealing with Rust.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
I was standing around today and I began thinking about common areas on on old cars were rust begins to develop. You know, when you see that old killer car with the cancer spots and you think, "How the **** do you let your car get that bad."

So after my monthly Zymol waxing, I began looking in the door jams and I followed the body lines down underneath and I was surprised. I don't live in a really wet climate or anywhere that gets snow. But even my paint was starting to show wear and chiped away leaving parts of the metal exposed.

I busted out the Naval Jelly to treat the exposed metal areas with rust. I then took my dremel tool and used the wire wheel to remove any visible rust and then finally primer and paint.

I was really amazed to find even a little rust, for those of you who plan to keep your ride for the long haul and live in the snow or wet climates; its definitely something to think about.

Last edited:

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, I found a little spot of rust next to the hinge in the jam of the tail gate. I brushed on some of that Extenze. It stopped the rust and it is frozen in time like the day I found it a few years ago. The stuff does some kind of chemical reaction, blocking the rust from going any further.

Not good for something out in the open, but works perfect for “out of sight” rust. I’m in Minnesota the salt capital of the US. :)

OP
OP
IRQVET

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
So I've been considering to treat and cover the undercarriage of my Tahoe because I have a ton of surface rust all throughout the undercarriage.

I've done the naval jelly thing to small areas of rust, but I'm clueless what type of product to use for large areas that won't put me in the poor house.

Any ideas or tricks you've done, product links would be nice. There was a thread on here a little while ago where folks were treating their frame rails and painting them. I remember a link to some sort of product but it seemed way to expensive. If money wasn't an object I would rynoline my undercarriage, but thats if money was no object . . . .

OP
OP
IRQVET

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
POR 15 is really pricey, I was looking for a cheaper alternative if possible that can deliver the same result. (If there is such a product)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alejo2160