Dealership/buying experince

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbva

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dealership/buying experience

We almost bought one. Went to test drive Thursday before the 4th. Dealer had a nice White Diamond Denali XL stickered at 77K, after we test drove he asked us what we wanted to pay, we told him to throw out a price and he wouldn't so i threw out 70K which is a bit over the employee pricing. They said no, so we walked. I might just wait, I might just email some other dealers. I only put about 3-4K miles a year on this vehicle as we just use it mainly during ski season so I am im no hurry. They did say we would get the 72 months no interest, but I am paying cash so no benefit for me there, although I would take the free use of the money.

I did have one question for the group though, and yes i did search this forum first. The vehicle had a selector for 4wd, 2wd etc on the dash left of the wheel. The sales rep said he had not seen that either on the Denali. We both thought the Denali's were AWD. My current one is. Can anyone shed any light on this and is this selection an upgrade over the AWD, i always felt safer in wet conditions with the AWD being automatic. There was an AUTO setting on this knob, is that what i use?

thanks for any input, still thinking of getting a new one somewhere, although sounds like some nice upgrades coming soon like 8 speed tran, 360 camera, etc I might want to wait for.....

Last edited:

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
new Denali are 4WD, no more AWD. There is a 4WD-Hi that you can use for faster speeds, and a 4WD-Lo for offroad type scenarios.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your paying cash there are deals out there. Hit up the guys who have them already in your area. It's always nice to recommend a customer who pays in cash.

OP
OP
J

jbva

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I do understand the 4Hi vs the 4Lo, but what does the auto setting do. Also, during a heavy rain does anyone switch to 4HI for safety? or auto?

I know deals will come as supply increases. If this was a higher priority i would have already emailed 2-3 other dealers. I am also contemplating an X5, not instead of, but wifes car needs replacing, she is at 196K on her car and we are simply getting the itch.

One more note, I also thought the ride was much stiffer than my current 2001 Yukon and stiffer than i expected it to be. I have to think the larger the wheels get, they look better, but you sacrifice some ride quality. I guess i had in my mide that the magneride suspension, or whatever they officially call it would be a little better (although better is not quite the word i need, but cushier isnt either)

TraumaTruck1

Reaction score
My understanding is that if the computer senses a slip, Auto will engage the front wheels to help you gain traction. I am sure that someone that has one can get more specific with it. I have a Denali myself, and the AWD was the selling point vs a Yukon 4x4. We got it for my wife to drive, and I like the AWD so that she doesn't have to figure out when to engage the 4wd when leaving the river property or turn it off when she gets to the street. I also like it for the safety while raining etc.

OP
OP
J

jbva

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've thought about it and will get rates when i do pull the trigger. Right now I am leaning on getting something like the X5 for every day driver and just keeping a used Yukon around. I see some 2009ish ones for around 30K with low miles. I know enough to negotitate the CAP cost first, then talk lease versus buy. When you mention lease up front they salesmen start thinking they can just get by talking monthly payments. I research money factors and residuals and all the things i think i am supposed to research.

The nice think about the lease is I can write off the whole thing as it will be a business vehicle. We still would get the accelerated depreciation with the over 6000 lb limit, but they have closed that SUV loophole since my last purchase.

Daughter got her learner's this week so that may change some things.....

malones99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience was great at Crest Chevrolet in San Bernardino. They have a lifetime warranty, no, I don't work for them.

OmegaRoach

Reaction score
My buying experience at Sterling McCall in Houston wasn't that great. They know that they have a car that's high in demand and refused to give me supplier pricing although I qualified for it with my companies fleet program. They said they would only give me supplier pricing if I ordered it and waited the 2 to 4 months for it come in.
They even pulled some stunt with a mystery phone call as soon as we looked at the vehicle from "a lady in Alabama" that supposedly wanted the vehicle and was going to drive from Alabama to pick it up at MSRP, but since I already looked at it they "let me" have first stab at it for $2K over supplier pricing.
Unfortunately my wife's 11 year old 230K mile Mountaineer died and we needed to get something, and I involved her way to early in the negotiations...
O' well, sweet ride, just should have been a little cheaper. Stealerships are still STEALERSHIPS

Reels

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buying experience at Sterling McCall in Houston wasn't that great. They know that they have a car that's high in demand and refused to give me supplier pricing although I qualified for it with my companies fleet program. They said they would only give me supplier pricing if I ordered it and waited the 2 to 4 months for it come in.
They even pulled some stunt with a mystery phone call as soon as we looked at the vehicle from "a lady in Alabama" that supposedly wanted the vehicle and was going to drive from Alabama to pick it up at MSRP, but since I already looked at it they "let me" have first stab at it for $2K over supplier pricing.
Unfortunately my wife's 11 year old 230K mile Mountaineer died and we needed to get something, and I involved her way to early in the negotiations...
O' well, sweet ride, just should have been a little cheaper. Stealerships are still STEALERSHIPS

Yep, you where in a tough spot. Worse time to buy a car is when you need a car... Hopefully in the end you feel it was worth it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn