Dealer not honoring warranty work..2018 5.3 Yukon issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have called 6 local emission stations and all of them said that an only way to test emissions in NC now is via OBD II, probed machines are banned in NC as the last shop explained to me. I guess that is not an option any more for me either.
check another state near by also 760C+ is pretty high don't expect it to last very long

925 degrees C . is the max sustained for the modern 3way cats

that is out of spec ,if your not towing or high engine load like 3500rpm

your dumping raw fuel into the cats...

idle is about 450C and 550-600C(AFM bank1 reading only) normal driving on a LEV2 6.0L i'm sure its typical with everyone else with a working engine

Last edited:

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI - The cat is covered under federal emissions control system warranty which is 8 yr/80k miles in the US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
before you bother with ignition coils and plugs, swap banks it from bank2 to bank1. if the issue moves to the other side then they need replacement other wise it's cash in the trash if nothing has changed

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI - The cat is covered under federal emissions control system warranty which is 8 yr/80k miles in the US

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the warranty is voided they are melted.

760c = 1400f and 1900F is about the melting point

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brent, thank you for pointing it out. I have provided Charles Boyd GMC with detailed problem write up (see below) including cats running high, got home last night and cats running hot complaint was conveniently left out from the work order when truck was returned to my wife. Call me crazy, but this all smells fishy now. They probably know that my truck is suppressing codes and cats will melt or fail soon and if it was logged on the order they would be liable, by not being on the order it is mine to fix when they melt. I cannot explain why dealers leave details of my complaints out. I provided them printouts and logs...

Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 09.45.18.png
check another state near by also 760C+ is pretty high don't expect it to last very long

925 degrees C . is the max sustained for the modern 3way cats

that is out of spec ,if your not towing or high engine load like 3500rpm

your dumping raw fuel into the cats...

idle is about 450C and 550-600C(AFM bank1 reading only) normal driving on a LEV2 6.0L i'm sure its typical with everyone else with a working engine

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brent, thank you for pointing it out. I have provided Charles Boyd GMC with detailed problem write up (see below) including cats running high, got home last night and cats running hot complaint was conveniently left out from the work order when truck was returned to my wife. Call me crazy, but this all smells fishy now. They probably know that my truck is suppressing codes and cats will melt or fail soon and if it was logged on the order they would be liable, by not being on the order it is mine to fix when they melt. I cannot explain why dealers leave details of my complaints out. I provided them printouts and logs...

View attachment 234590
start using a sound recorder it's a 1 party state..

what is the emissions tier it should say on the airbox

i.e LEV2 LEV3 ULEV SULEV..

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brent, you advice is truly invaluable! Thank you. This is what I would do from now on - record on my cell, I cannot believe how many times they ignore what I say. Just to make things interesting I called Charles Boyd GMC this afternoon and asked to add cats complaint to the work order, he said, he did not receive anything from my wife and son, and work order is closed and cannot be updated... Just surreal. North Carolina 2019, it is phantasmagoria of horror.
start using a sound recorder it's a 1 party state..

what is the emissions tier it should say on the airbox

i.e LEV2 LEV3 ULEV SULEV..

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dmitry, are you saying that your catalytic converters are up over 1200 degrees after idling for say 20-30 minutes after the engine has reached temperature?

I have sat in a passenger seat and watched my cats before. Accelerating on the highway they easily climb up to the 1500s and then begin to slowly cool and at around 70 mph settle into the 1200-1300s on level ground. They'll quickly heat up going over a hill (bridge) and then begin to slowly cool down again.

Myself and @kbuskill have talked about cat temps before and posted our findings somewhere on this here forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.