Dash Cam wiring for 2019 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can I/should I connect the power wire for a dash cam? I want it powered only when the ignition is on and not powered with retained accessory power (RAP) or when the ignition is off. I have a hardwire 12v-5v accessory cable, an add-a-circuit mini-fuse tap, a usb cable and a cigarette lighter adapter. I could not tell which fuse I should tap and have no idea what some of the fuse abbreviations meant. See attached driver’s side fuse panel diagram. There were even fewer fuses on the passenger side panel.

The USB and cigarette lighter receptacle have RAP and are thus not an option.

Where is the easiest/best place to tap power?

34BFD12B-8265-4ED7-AA10-E4F4E22D45A2.jpeg

OP
OP

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tapped mine in to the radio fuse
I believe the radio receives RAP (plays for 10 minutes after the ignition is turned off).

Question. Doesn’t the RAP cut off when the door is opened? If so, then that might work. Do you know which fuse in the above diagram is for the radio?

Last edited:

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This 15 amp fuse is switched ignition power. It’s fuse 33.

ccab70711371a147c1850cfea0e2ff97.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J5races

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Awesome picture for the power tap. Anyone know which wire or fuse can be tapped for switched lights. Adding a boost gauge and want to get illumination for night driving.

Thank you

NT Automotive

Reaction score
Awesome picture for the power tap. Anyone know which wire or fuse can be tapped for switched lights. Adding a boost gauge and want to get illumination for night driving.

Thank you
For constant power, safe bet is tap into the power seat fuse.

For switched power, others mentiond good options. Cooled seats or heated steering wheel also might work too.

You can test the above fuses first using a volt meter with ignition on/off to verify volts/amps prior to install.

If you tap into another fuse currently in use, low profile micro mini fuse taps are a nice choice. Make sure to load the correct amp fuse in the correct order in the tap for added safety. 2 fuses per tap, one being the fuse you removed.

Last edited:

J5races

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sounds good. I found a video on youtube where the guy talked about tapping into a brn/wht wire for lights. Ill try that.

Anyone know which wire the tach signal is? The Innovative has a shift light if i connect a tach signal. While i know i have an auto 10speed, would still be interesting to have it flash at say 6k.

I watched another video where that guy said to tap into a off-white wire going up to his C5 corvette cluster. wonder if 2018 tahoe is also white wire for that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442

Latest posts