Cylinder 5 is having a BBQ - Is this a bad PCV valve? 6.2L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeoffM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

Please see attached pictures. They're all dirty. Cylinder 5 is the worse. It looks like the bottom of a dirty grill.

1. Is there a way to clean this? I could scrap and vacuum from the top but I worry about something falling into the head.
2. What causes this? Bad PCVs?

Attachments

• cylinder 5 bbq.jpg
    cylinder 5 bbq.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 17
  • left bank.jpg
    left bank.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 17
  • right bank.jpg
    right bank.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 17

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should install a oil catch can, it will prevent this. There are methods to clean out the gunk but unless its really bugging you, add some fuel treatment to a few tank fills and it will help it disperse. I personally like Marvel Mystery oil and add it to a tank every few months. You don't really want to spray anything on this area as too much could wash the oil off the cylinder walls and rings.

BigNorm4Life

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah... it doesn't look that bad.... I would spray the fuel treatment all in that and drive the PISS out of it on the highway for a gas tank or two

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Please see attached pictures. They're all dirty. Cylinder 5 is the worse. It looks like the bottom of a dirty grill.

1. Is there a way to clean this? I could scrap and vacuum from the top but I worry about something falling into the head.
2. What causes this? Bad PCVs?

Direct injection engine? Adding stuff to your fuel tank won't do anything since the fuel is injected after the valves. This is why the DI engines (of all makes) build up carbon. As THarber mentioned, a good catch can to reduce the oil going into the intake manifold would be big help. As for cleaning, it's pretty much a manual job at this point and walnut blasting is the common method. Have it professionally cleaned then maintain it with regular doses (Monthly? Bi-monthly?) of cleaners introduced through the PCV hose. CRC Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner is a good one, but there are others. Look for solvents with PolyEther Amine (PEA).

You don't wanna break up that stuff and let it go into the cylinders. Small chunks likely won't do anything, but they could still all end up impacted in the cat converters and eventually clog them. You need to dissolve, break away and remove the carbon out from the port.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GeoffM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Any idea of the part number for the left/drivers side fuel rail? I thought I was being gentle but ended up giving it a slight bend. Rock Auto is only showing the right/passenger side.

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just cleaned my valves. Tape off every port except the one your cleaning, turn the engine by hand to close the valve, and blast it with walnuts using a abrasive air gun. When your done blasting blow it all out with compressed air. Here’s after.

AE7019F9-4A5B-43D2-B574-EFF75DDC61E1.jpeg

OP
OP
G

GeoffM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just cleaned my valves. Tape off every port except the one your cleaning, turn the engine by hand to close the valve, and blast it with walnuts using a abrasive air gun. When your done blasting blow it all out with compressed air. Here’s after.

View attachment 373914
Oh wow you really went to town on that eh? Good job!

I wasn't nearly that thorough. I used paper towel as far I could just my hand or a pair of needle nose pliers into it. I saw some larger pieces of crud fall down against the valve. I used one of those claws on a flexible stick to retrieve the stuff that fell.
Then I chickened out and left the rest of it alone lol

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I tried a rag and carb cleaner first. I gave up and went to harbor freight and got a cheap blaster for $30 and 20lb of crushed walnuts for $20. Best $50 I spent!

OP
OP
G

GeoffM

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

For a catch can, which line does it go to?
A: The small one from under the intake to just behind the intake
B: 2 of them. One for each valve cover into the air intake

Also, what have you done for a catch can? DIY? Or something more like this? https://www.amazon.com/UPR-Separator-2014-2019-Sierra-Silverado/dp/B08XZQZS3H

That seems kind of expensive, but I'm starting to get to an age where it might be worth it to pay more instead of DIYing the entire thing and spending hours doing it.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I put on mine. Make sure you get the right one. The one you referenced is for a truck, not SUV and there is a difference, ask me how I know...LOL. Its a 15 min install.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs