Cutting the 5305 for 5 inch plus drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
id cut 2 coils out of your 5305 springs and honeslty I think you still will be ok with helper bags.

Right now how low is your front compared to rear?

275 50 20 you can go easy 4 inches because on a 305 35 24 a 3/5 drop is fine and your tires are over 1 inch shorter.

2012 Very nice, hope he does send pics.

But for my Tahoe, im at 32" all the way around, im level all around. I have rear hardware kit. I don't have helper bags though.
What helper bags would you recommend, as i know nothing about those.

So i should be fine cutting 2 loops. Would my shocks need to be changed. They are bilstiens.

OP
OP
NORCAL SS

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In rear if your level now do you want to sit lower than the front?

In rear you need the djm hardware kit with shock extenders and a shock that is 20.5 inches long.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In rear if your level now do you want to sit lower than the front?

In rear you need the djm hardware kit with shock extenders and a shock that is 20.5 inches long.

Just thinking of lowering it a little more all around. front and rear. I have the the lca relocator, just not the shock ext. wont fit w/ the mcgaughys.

When im ready to attempt it, i'll be hitting you up. Thanks for the shock info as well.

Jose22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
was a brand new 2012 tahoe.

in rear since using helper bags he can lift it up but at the 6 inch level with 15 psi in the bags it wasnt that bad with the bracket cut off. His truck sat really nigh in rear im wondering now if gm changed the rear spring heights on the 2012s.

On his at the full 6 inch level I would notch it but it wasnt as bad as you think.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

id cut 2 coils out of your 5305 springs and honeslty I think you still will be ok with helper bags.

Right now how low is your front compared to rear?

275 50 20 you can go easy 4 inches because on a 305 35 24 a 3/5 drop is fine and your tires are over 1 inch shorter.
How can I cut my 2" lowering springs from my Tahoe cuz the ends of the springs are very close so if I cut them I will have a big wide hole

OP
OP
NORCAL SS

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would only do 1 inch more. 2 inch springs cut to lower moresolution thend 3... don't do it

El_cochiloco

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Done this many times on guys trucks over the years.

With the springs installed you will see 5 coils touching you can cut dead coils and will not change the ride. MAKE SURE YOU CUT THE SIDE THAT THE COILS TOUCH!!! NOT THE OTHER SIDE

View attachment 121790

Cut first 2 loops
View attachment 121791

Above cut will drop the truck about 5/8 to 3/4s. Remember if one side is higher ALWAYS CUT FROM THE HIGHEST SIDE FIRST because it will bring down the OPPOSITE side also. So of pass side is higher cut Above from that side first put back in and test to see if drivers side needs to be cut.
I have the 4 inch sptings. How much do i need to cut to lower it 1 more inch?