Custom driveshaft after lowering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdupont

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone had to have their driveshaft shortened or a custom one made after installing a drop kit for the rear?

Put a Belltech 3-4" rear drop in my 03 Tahoe. Only have about a 1/4" between the end of the transfer case and the vibration dampener on the yoke. I can hear the tail shaft of the transfer smacking into the yoke all the time, come to an aggressive stop, then when letting go of the brakes, shift between 1st to 2nd and any aggressive downshift when smacking the throttle.

I talked to a guy at a driveshaft shop, obviously he can do it and understands what's going on. So, looking for insight. If I do end up having to have one made or one modified, I'm thinking about keeping the OEM one for future owner if they think about returning to stock height, and getting one out of a junk yard or off eBay. Just looking for some insight guys, thanks.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Have you checked all of your mounts? Motor, Trans? Is your rearend mounts nice and tight? I'm dropped same as you on my 03 and I'm using my stock driveshaft with no issues.

OP
OP
tdupont

tdupont

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you checked all of your mounts? Motor, Trans? Is your rearend mounts nice and tight? I'm dropped same as you on my 03 and I'm using my stock driveshaft with no issues.
Not going to lie, I'm neglecting to check those mounts. I didn't have this issue until I dropped it, its a 4wd rig.
I'm definitely going to check those mounts now though to see if anything is out of wack before I drop a couple bucks on another driveshaft.

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I'm chiming in kind of late here but...............I don't know of anyone who's had to replace a driveshaft after lowering these. @NORCAL SS would know better since he drops these things for a living, and I've never heard that mentioned, even with guys who go even lower than 3-4". I'd bet you have something else going on. Check any control arm bushings, see if the axle is moving around, or like Tonyrodz said, engine/trans mounts.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dm me buddy I'll help yah out

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231122_075405_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20231122_075405_Instagram.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 5

KidWgn

Certified Kid Hauler
Reaction score
I'm chiming in WAY late here.

Have you done adjustable UCA and LCA to move the rear end back to its original position? I also don't see the LCA relocation brackets on Belltech's kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo