Custom dash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a new double din stereo in today and notice pretty much every tab hole on top for the dash panel was broken. Anyone make a custom dash for the OBS 99? My panel only has 3 or 4 bottom inserts holding it on and the far left side keeps wanting to come out as it pretty much broken too. It is so bad I am thinking about using 3 or 4 little screw down bracket to keep it in place. Short of putting in a different dash, I am not sure what else to do. Ideas?20220507_092657.jpg20220507_094120.jpg20220507_094126.jpg

Last edited:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They now (within the last year or so) sell a replacement dash for the 88-94 GMT400 models, but none for 95+.

You could try strategically placing some butyl tape along the bezel perimeter. It sticks pretty good and may do the job with the rattles. Plus, it’s removable. It’s that tar-type stuff in case you aren’t familiar with it:

9CC5388D-4505-49A3-8E16-C72B0998C125.jpeg

Otherwise, I’d look at one of those glue-down dash caps but they’re paint to match and wouldn’t really remedy your attachment issue at the front. But, it could cover up a creatively placed repair.

You can still sometimes find the dashes in the junkyards though the eBay users sell them as well. Be careful, though, as a lot of people break the support bar rivets off of the sides while removing it. There’s a cleaner way without breaking it.

Your bezel clip on the left is what caused that particular dash crack. The dash didn’t enclose the entire hole like the other ones; it was just a backward C-shape so the metal clip pushed down on the bottom part until it gave way at the top. Which yours did. The remedy is to either remove the bezel clip or press it flat so that it doesn’t crack the dash. I added a smidge of the above tape on mine and it holds fine.

E0A47B23-6C99-460F-BEBD-057C98C3EFAA.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I am not going to worry about it too much right now. The dash panel isn't falling off thankfully. I do plan to get an overlay at some point, but it won't fix the slots. I may end up doing something like this. I hate to put holes in the dash but I can't replace the dash itself or afford to have someone else do it. I could even paint these blue so they don't stand out too much. I am looking at my options.

02916517.jpg

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned it on another thread, but I’d probably try “stop drilling” the ends of the cracks to stop them from spreading. Then fill or patch it up the best you can or try your hand at plastic welding.

OP
OP
S

Swagfu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done some plastic welding in the past...like 25 years ago working on motorcycle panels. I will get an overlay for the top. These will be to hold the removable front panel on. I dunno, I think I may take a little break from worrying about the dash panel. I have other things on the truck to worry about as long as the panel doesn't just fall off while driving. At the end of the day I just want it to look descent but run great. I am really the only person that sees the inside. I have a dash cover on the dash so I can't see the cracks. Plus they don't really make much noise with the weight of the cover. I just put in a double din stereo the other day and the dash panel has been giving me issues. I have to get back in there and do some more work on it. I think I can get it to look decent with some manipulation. This time next year, this will just be a memory...and who knows, I may not even own it anymore. Lots can happen in a year. But during the next year I want to do the best I can with it. Here is my stereo install. Need to get the right side figured out. 20220509_125546.jpg