CRUX SOOGM-15 -- Noisy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thekl0wn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This isn't really a technical article... Isn't really a question thread. But if there is anyone who has been through this with any advice, please share.

Over the past week, I've been working on installing a new HU in my Tahoe. '03 LT with Blose & OnStar. Went with a Kenwood DD deck and CRUX SOOGM-15 as my interface. Right now, the HU is the only piece that has been/will be replaced. Once parts accumulate, all door speakers, amps, and sub will be replaced.

As far as functionality goes, it all works fine, with one exception... The CRUX is noisy as heck! The noise was very loud... A static "hiss". Changing sound source on the HU makes no difference. Turning the HU off makes no difference. Removing the HU from the harness does not change the sound any whatsoever. If the CRUX is powered, it's blasting static to the speakers. Used the pot on the side with no avail; still loud.

Got to reading more in-depth on Crux's site, and found a PDF which had a solution to the hiss. Installing resistors. Did that. Noise was DRASTICALLY reduced, but still present. With windows up and driving with an acoustic song, it's still annoying.

After resistors were put into the mix, the ground loop became audible. Installed a ground loop isolator and finally got a good ground to the radio. Engine whine went away; hiss remains.

In reading on the PDF from Crux, it said to step up the resistor size... Looks like I'm in for another 2 hours of soldering...