crankin torsion bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankhenrylee

Reaction score
2" wheel spacers will make it more likely to rub. 2" rear coil spacers will make it too tall in the back. At the most 1" spacers on wheels and probably no spacers on rear coils if you want it to sit level without cranking the torsion bars all of the way. Just jack up the front to where you think you want it at and look at your CV's. I'm not sure what safe would be but you want to keep it to a minimum. Too much crank and tires wear badly, alignment doesn't stick, CV's give out, and you lose ride quality. I think the tallest tire you can go without alot of crank is a 285/70-17 or 285/75-16, and thats pushing it. I'm going to crank mine a little and go with either 275's or 285/70-17's. You'll need to trim here and there as well.

Last edited:

beachrig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
285's

I am on my second set of 285/ 70 17's first set were destination at's looked good but only got 40k out of them. I went back to Mich A/T2's however they rub just a little, where my Destination at's did not. However I just blew out the upper control arm bushing on drivers side so over the next few week's I'm installing 2 new mevotec control arms with new bushings, 4 new Bilstein shocks and am going to crank the bars to get .5-1" hopefully. Everything I have found has said its ok to do just not too much i.e CV angle and make sure you leave some threads. If you want I'll post some pics on the progress.

cliffordz71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've got Ford torsion keys installed and cranked to level 2" rear coil spacers. All sitting on some 295/70/17 Toyos. Rides like shoot unless you get aftermarket shocks. Also be careful cranking your keys at all. The more you crank them, the worse your CV angles=more stress=MUCH weaker. I'm just telling myself that I will have to start replacing parts a few miles before I would have without cranking them.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 73
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 62

beachrig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I agree, I'm just trying to level mine out and get it to stop the rubbing. It only rubs when I'm backing up and have the wheels turned. I'm hoping with the new shocks maybe it will eliminate some of that too. But the Bilstein people said that the normal shocks would work with a 1" crank. So I'll probably do all of it and if I don't like it then I can keep the same shocks and just come back down with it..

Clifford your z looks great, I really think these trucks look best when lifted and the stock rims are kept..

Attachments

• IMG_0003 (4).jpg
    IMG_0003 (4).jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 38

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about cranking them on a 2wd? Does it still stress the suspension? Or is it the CV axles on a 4wd that are the main thing stressed when cranked? I am looking for about 2 inches possibly 3 inches of lift, can that be obtained by cranking and no worries about damaging the suspension because its cranked?

beachrig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Don't know never had a 2wd!
The only thing I have ever heard is that it adds a little more stress to the ball joints (which I'm replacing now and is not that hard to do if you needed to) and if you over crank them it can screw up the cv joints due to the angle. But again I'm only going up a .5-1" to level it out a little. From what I understand if you are going up to 2 etc. the best way is to do it is with the ford keys, new shocks all around and spacers in the back. But again that's just from what I have read.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My back sits about 2-3 inches higher than the front. So I want to just lift the front to get it level, or at least a lot closer to level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCUSA