CrankCase's Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrankCase

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, this is my build up of my 2011 Tahoe LT.

Bought this truck new in January of 2012 from a local dealer here in Asheville, NC. I traded in a 2009 Hummer H3T Alpha, which was a great truck all around, and a great offroader, but it was just too small. SO i figured I would get a full size SUV, and then have a trail rig for offroading.

Here is the truck the day I bought it:
droid074_zpsf7323341.jpg

And while I was waiting for my lift and tires, I had to make a Lowes run for material, so here it is all loaded up LOL:
droid080_zpsf4ce2673.jpg

Here is the "before" on the dealership lift:
droid084_zps59676e23.jpg

And the "after":
droid088_zps5ec4ca12.jpg

And finally outside:
droid090_zpsce8af9a8.jpg
The front has since settled down and it is close to level. But i will be adding a rear coil spacer to bring the rear up and give it a slight rake. I do plenty of towing, so I want it to be close to level when loaded.

Those are the only pics of it at the dealership, sorry for the crappy cell ph pics.

It sits on a Fabtech 6" lift, with 18x9 Moto Metal wheels with 4.5" backspace and 35" tall BF Goodrich A/T tires. There was a little trimming necessary to the front bumper and valance, as well as the front of the side steps. I also swapped out the factory 3.08 gears for a set of 4.56's. They make a huge difference in the overall driveability of the truck and even the fuel mielage. I am getting 16/17 around town, and an even 20 down the highway unloaded.

I then added a 20" Rigid LED offroad light behind the grill and a set of 8000K HID headlights. And I also put on a set of front and rear black bowties.
IMG_0005JPG2.jpg

Then the window tint went on, 20% all the way around:
IMG_0006JPG2.jpg

I also added a set of axililary reverse lights. Insted of just swapping out the bulbs, I added a set of Whelen LED Lights on a Whelen Tag mount. The tag mount just uses a bracket that is bolted to the factory tag bolt holes. I did have to drill a hole behind the license plate to get the wires for the lights through, but that was no biggie. Here is what they look like:
IMG_0002JPG2.jpg

Now, some of you have noticed in the "Window Tint Picture" the grey Decepticon badge on the "c" pillar. I am a HUGE Transformers fan, and ever since the 3rd movie "Dark of the Moon" that has the 3 black Suburbans, I had to build my own. So this was my inspiration:
droid078_zpsddee960a.jpg
IMG_0050_zps229629b9.jpg
IMG_0046_zps320fcf4b.jpg
IMG_0041_zpse94f7fac.jpg
And this is what he transforms into:
JoshNizzi_TF3_64_zpsdbfba41c.jpg
Just Bad Ass LOL

And here is my truck on a job site, with that same trailer from the picture above:
image_zps65550194.jpg
I keep all my tools and materials in the trailer, so I can just pull up to a job site and have everything ready to go. And it keeps dirty tools and cords and such OUT of the inside of the truck.

This is the most recent pic:
IMG_0239_zps8eb8444c.jpg
Truck is completely de-badged, and I swapped out the grey Decepticon logo for a Flat Black one on the c pillar. It is definitely subtle, and fits well with the Government SUV look from the movies.

And since I needed a trail rig, I have this:
IMG_0017.jpg
It is a 1993 Ford Bronco, with a 5.0L V8 and Automatic trans. Got it for free from a family friend, and it had sat for 3 years, so it needed some help getting running again. I added the lift and tires, and some basic rebuilds and hae had it on a few trails here locally. It also has a removable hard top, which I take off and put on a soft top for the warmer months.

UPDATE 3/29/13
Made a couple new additions to the Tahoe in the past couple weeks.
First was the new tow mirrors:
IMG_0351_zpsa206d6e7.jpg
I absolutely love these. Makes veiwing everything behind me, and below me much easier. And no more blind spots.

Next I ordered a rear storage box from FleetSafety. This is the same one used by Law Enforcement and Homeland security.
IMG_0394_zpsb7476d33.jpg

IMG_0397_zpsf0e86dcc.jpg

IMG_0398_zps84998bc8.jpg

Its a great box, but unfortunately I need the rear seat space more than the tool space so its going to have to go. I dont have enough posts for a "For Sale" thread so hopefully no one minds me mentioning it here. You can PM me for details on the box.

For now, thats my truck, I will be adding a few more items over the coming months.
My future mods include:
Possibly a set of cab lights
3" body Lift
Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares
37" tires (when the body lift goes on)

I will keep this thread updated as I complete more of the mods.

Feel free to ask any questions you have, or leave any comments.

Thanks

Jason
CrankCase

Last edited:

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GREAT thread.

I was the one who asked you if it transforms. LOL.

I too loved those transformers Suburbans. I remember rewinding to see them a few times.

That trailer....... dang bro.:cool:

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Decepticon punk. Autobots roll out!
It's funny because I'm adding an autobot badge on my jeep soon so I guess we'll be the transformers guys

OP
OP
CrankCase

CrankCase

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
GREAT thread.

I was the one who asked you if it transforms. LOL.

I too loved those transformers Suburbans. I remember rewinding to see them a few times.

That trailer....... dang bro.:cool:
LOL, ya I do remember seeing that. I have that entire scene as my laptop screen saver, best one ever.

Ya, the trailer is a beast. But it was cheap, $500 and its in great shape, and will last longer than i will ever need it. The title and spec plate on it says built in 1962. LOL

Decepticon punk. Autobots roll out!
It's funny because I'm adding an autobot badge on my jeep soon so I guess we'll be the transformers guys
My brother has a 2010 JK, all black with a flat balck billet aluminum Autobot badge on it. I have a polished one that I had on my Hummer. Go to BilletBadges.com thats where we got ours from. High quality stuff, and Steves a great guy to work with.

Regency

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha that's awesome will do man thanks.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the Bowtie today.

Excellent shape and packed EXTREAMLY well.

Took me all of 10 min. To unwrap it.
Hahahahahaha :D

Thank you again.

OP
OP
CrankCase

CrankCase

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got the Bowtie today.

Excellent shape and packed EXTREAMLY well.

Took me all of 10 min. To unwrap it.
Hahahahahaha :D

Thank you again.

No problem. Glad it arrived safely. I wanted to be sure it arrived intact, LOL you know how the postal service operates.

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

Looks good!

Thanks.

RollTide2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it alot. Can you put a picture of the led bar on? I wanna get one somewhere behind my grill.

OP
OP
CrankCase

CrankCase

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I like it alot. Can you put a picture of the led bar on? I wanna get one somewhere behind my grill.

Here ya go:

Light off:
001-6.jpg

Light On:
002-5.jpg

The house is about 50 yards away. These lights are just stupid bright, even in the daylight hours. I have a 20" Rigid Industries light, their light consists of the center 16" being a full spot pattern, and the outside 4" (2" on either side) being a flood pattern. This combination really works well to light up the road.

I also have a 40" bar that I will be attaching to the roof of the truck, and when that one is on, plants lean in my direction thinking the sun is out! LOL That one is a center 30" spot, and 10" (5" either side) flood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts