Continental Terrain Contact H/T?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, Eddie. Great video and reviews. I'm feeling good about giving them a try. We have Continentals on our Infiniti and they're 7 years old with no visible cracking or dry rotting whatsoever. Hopefully these will last as long. I also note that Consumer Reports likes them better than the Defenders:

1691502637060.png

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, Eddie. Great video and reviews. I'm feeling good about giving them a try. We have Continentals on our Infiniti and they're 7 years old with no visible cracking or dry rotting whatsoever. Hopefully these will last as long. I also note that Consumer Reports likes them better than the Defenders:

I don't give any credibility to CR after getting burned following their ratings.
That being said, they are on the opposite side of the opinion on the H/t wet performance compared to Tire Rack.
We have had almost all time record rainfall here last month and my experience is that there is nothing wrong the H/T performance in the wet; not even a hint. So I am with Tire Rack on the topic.
I'm guessing you'll like them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's an XL load rating?
It’s a designation for tires designed to carry significantly more than the standard load for a given tire size. By comparison, the load capacity for the Michelin LTX in the same size is about 300 lbs less per tire.

IMG_4986.png

Last edited:

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a designation for tires designed to carry significantly more than the standard load for a given tire size. By comparison, the load capacity for the Michelin LTX in the same size is about 400 lbs less per tire.

View attachment 406136

I guess I'm used to the c vs e load rating on LT tires. You said this was for your tow rig, so I assumed you'd be going with LT/E tires.
You've got 4-ply tires rated at 2833; LT/E tires are 10-ply and rated to 3,085. You've said in other posts that you're pushing the limits of a half-ton. When I was towing heavy with my 01 half-ton, I upgraded to LT/E, just to have the extra capacity and peace of mind. They stiffen up nicely at 50-60 PSI.

Attachments

• e tires.jpg
    e tires.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
Geotrash

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm used to the c vs e load rating on LT tires. You said this was for your tow rig, so I assumed you'd be going with LT/E tires.
You've got 4-ply tires rated at 2833; LT/E tires are 10-ply and rated to 3,085. You've said in other posts that you're pushing the limits of a half-ton. When I was towing heavy with my 01 half-ton, I upgraded to LT/E, just to have the extra capacity and peace of mind. They stiffen up nicely at 50-60 PSI.
Well, I had been running non-XL Michelin LTX’s on it rated at 300 lbs less per tire, with no problems. So I figure bumping up to XL for the same money is heading in the right direction. Fully loaded with the camper on the ball, I’m at 3980 on the rear axle, 220 lbs below the GAWR. That leaves me with 1900 lbs of tire capacity left to go on the axle. I think I’m good with those margins.

Last edited:

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best tire I have owned. Essentially defenders except better wet traction, quieter, and not as square so handle better in lane changes and such (usually cheaper too). Great on ice. My biggest complaint is how non aggressive they look for a 4x4. Gonna try the ATs next. Michelin redesigned the defenders because of these - the "twos" probably will be better, but these beat the old ones...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900