Confusing coolant leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cookiemoonster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm hoping to find out if anyone has had issues with coolant leaking from around the water pump and thermostat housing.

I've looked it up and it's not seemingly a common issue but from what I've seen in regards to the thermostat housing using only an o-ring for sealing where the two faces meet, i imagine it could possibly be a common issue.

I have a 2004 Yukon and have experience in diagnosis and repair (took some courses years back and ran a freelance shop out of the garage in my previous house)

I have a coolant leak which isn't consistent and seems to only appear when the engine cools down (which makes me suspect it's an issue with some component shrinking when it cools and opening up a spot for the coolant to leak).

I just ordered one of those "cameras on a stick" because I couldn't see much with my mirror on a stick (side note, they're on sale right now and I'll link below; I get no commission for this, just want to share) and will be using it later today to try to find the leak.

I was hoping for some input on where i might focus my search. I do not believe it is a cracked block (would be a crazy crack to leak as much as a liter or two in one sitting) but I'm unsure of how to proceed as I've even added UV dye to try and find the source but all i get is the splatter from the belts flinging the coolant (from what little does actually leak while the engine is still hot).

Sorry for the huge post, lol. I hope I don't bore you all to death!

Best wishes!

p.s. here is the link to the camera on sale:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PBW52SF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_VEECYXRY208D7SKEFGE1

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much coolant are you losing?

Where does it appear? Meaning you can actually see coolant?

Can you smell coolant when it is hot?

I just had this same problem and it turned out my 16 year old radiator was leaking. After removing the water pump I was shocked how clean and not leaking it was.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just had this same problem and it turned out my 16 year old radiator was leaking. After removing the water pump I was shocked how clean and not leaking it was.
come on man, lol (water pump/thermostat area)

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm hoping to find out if anyone has had issues with coolant leaking from around the water pump and thermostat housing.

I've looked it up and it's not seemingly a common issue but from what I've seen in regards to the thermostat housing using only an o-ring for sealing where the two faces meet, i imagine it could possibly be a common issue.

I have a 2004 Yukon and have experience in diagnosis and repair (took some courses years back and ran a freelance shop out of the garage in my previous house)

I have a coolant leak which isn't consistent and seems to only appear when the engine cools down (which makes me suspect it's an issue with some component shrinking when it cools and opening up a spot for the coolant to leak).

I just ordered one of those "cameras on a stick" because I couldn't see much with my mirror on a stick (side note, they're on sale right now and I'll link below; I get no commission for this, just want to share) and will be using it later today to try to find the leak.

I was hoping for some input on where i might focus my search. I do not believe it is a cracked block (would be a crazy crack to leak as much as a liter or two in one sitting) but I'm unsure of how to proceed as I've even added UV dye to try and find the source but all i get is the splatter from the belts flinging the coolant (from what little does actually leak while the engine is still hot).

Sorry for the huge post, lol. I hope I don't bore you all to death!

Best wishes!

p.s. here is the link to the camera on sale:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07PBW52SF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_VEECYXRY208D7SKEFGE1
Are you sure it’s not the weep hole on the water pump?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Since you said the coolant is getting on the belts I am gonna guess the leak is at the water pump weep hole in the bottom casing of the pump. I am surprised that you did not see the leak with the mirror, if in fact that is where the leak is. If is leaking there it can leak at times after the engine cools and then leaves a puddle on the ground. When you see coolant, is it on the ground and where is it on the ground in reference to the front of rig and the engine? Pressure test the cooling system.

OP
OP
C

cookiemoonster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

it's not consistent which is why I said it's confusing. Some days I seem to lose more than a quart after a 20-30 mile drive. Other days after a similar drive it'll just be a shot glass' worth.

I do not smell coolant which is another reason to believe my block and head gasket is fine.

Everything directly under the radiator stays bone dry, so unless the leak is running along a hose before dripping off, I don't believe it's the radiator.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
C

cookiemoonster

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would just replace the thermostat & housing if it is the 2 piece design, if it is the single piece design then then just replace the whole water pump.
you did not mention the mileage but typically anything above 150k it's time to replace the pump
That's what I was thinking, i just wanted to see if anyone here knows of a common issue with the 2000-2006 Yukons.

I've never really worked on Heavy Duty truck engines and I learned something new today: weep holes are a thing, lol.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9