Concerns with new generation Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JasonHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get some noise from the area under the speaker as well. clunking sound, but I also hear it on startup like a vent is opening or something?

I am not getting anything during startup. My dealer seemed very good about wanting to make sure things were fixed. I'd recommend taking it in and letting them have a go at it.

Hrocks

Reaction score
Okay, you go to dealerships to visit service departments and do State Inspections. Maybe you should get a job as a mechanic or better yet on a assembly line...that way you can build your perfect SUV off your “to-do list”!

Nevertheless, thanks for your .02

Wow, Thislife1977...Why the vitriol? Quark stated his approach to making an informed $80K or more decision. I'm 110% in the camp that takes a very critical approach to a test drive. I have posted a number of times regarding my desire to replace my 2010 Tahoe LTZ with one of the then "new" GMTK2XX platform vehicles. (2014-2020) Thank goodness for this forum! Had I not followed the countless threads outlining the teething problems of members who had been totally frustrated and disgusted with them after many trips to the dealer to fix, what in some cases were design problems, I would have had already jumped in with both feet on another first model year Escalade. No thanks.

With the new GMTT1XX platform vehicles, it appears that with seat belts, seat mounting bolts, EBC vacuum pump, broken engine valve springs, lifters, on and on, (plus how many TSB's??) that they're going down that same bumpy road. Here's something to consider...look at some of the used car ratings over the past 6 years or so. The '14 to '17 model year triplets had very poor ratings. Happily, the '18 and '19 MY (assume '20s will be the same.) vehicles were at the top tier of high quality used vehicles. The first four MY customers were the guinea pigs who paid the price of product development for GM.

This forum offers a lot of information...most credible, some not, but one can always learn something that fits their needs to find a fix for their existing vehicle, or make an informed decision on purchasing new or used one. We all share a common interest.

Last edited:

2021z71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2021 Z71 Suburban... 5.3l had 4 failed lifters at 6600 miles. Dealer repaired but then had air in coolant causing temperature overheat. Otherwise no issues and love it!

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, Thislife1977...Why the vitriol? Quark stated his approach to making an informed $80K or more decision. I'm 110% in the camp that takes a very critical approach to a test drive. I have posted a number of times regarding my desire to replace my 2010 Tahoe LTZ with one of the then "new" GMTK2XX platform vehicles. (2014-2020) Thank goodness for this forum! Had I not followed the countless threads outlining the teething problems of members who had been totally frustrated and disgusted with them after many trips to the dealer to fix, what in some cases were design problems, I would have had already jumped in with both feet on another first model year Escalade. No thanks.

With the new GMTT1XX platform vehicles, it appears that with seat belts, seat mounting bolts, EBC vacuum pump, broken engine valve springs, lifters, on and on, (plus how many TSB's??) that they're going down that same bumpy road. Here's something to consider...look at some of the used car ratings over the past 6 years or so. The '14 to '17 model year triplets had very poor ratings. Happily, the '18 and '19 MY (assume '20s will be the same.) vehicles were at the top tier of high quality used vehicles. The first four MY customers were the guinea pigs who paid the price of product development for GM.

This forum offers a lot of information...most credible, some not, but one can always learn something that fits their needs to find a fix for their existing vehicle, or make an informed decision on purchasing new or used one. We all share a common interest.

Couldn't agree more. I had 4 trucks in the previous generation. Nightmare generation. I was so fed up with GM. Spent a ton of money trading into each one. Finally dropped them and bought a mint condition 2013 suburban for family and tow duty. Just drove the new Denali. Pretty awesome interior, drove very nice and comfortable unlike previuos generation. After all i have seen i am waiting another year or so. Hoping it irons out because i really like that 3.0...... I cant even beileve i am condiering it after the last generation.....

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2021 Z71 Suburban... 5.3l had 4 failed lifters at 6600 miles. Dealer repaired but then had air in coolant causing temperature overheat. Otherwise no issues and love it!
Sorry to hear that. GM knows there are a bad batch of valve springs and lifters out there on all GM 6.2 and 5.3 engine lines. Make sure too ask your dealership for an extended warranty on GM. I was pushy with my fuel management disaster in October and got GM to throw in a 60 month 76,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty with $0 deductible. Don't be afraid to be pushy. GM is saving millions on not doing a recall for these ticking time bombs so pretty sure they can afford it. Glad no one got hurt when your engine failed.

vcode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2021 Chevy Tahoe Diesel's Skidpad Performance Limited by Top Speed (yahoo.com) So beyond the potential oiling issue mentioned previously, what is up with the stability control on this generation? Are they that unstable at speed that they need stability control to activate at what appears to be normal driving? That would worry me. Based on the numbers they are getting, a WW2 jeep could outcorner one. Have any new owners noticed this?

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is Consumer Reports' top 20 ranking of the major automotive brands, according to their average reliability score:

Mazda (83)

Toyota (74)

Lexus (71)

Buick (70)

Honda (63)

Hyundai (62)

Ram (58)

Subaru (57)

Porsche (55)

Dodge (54)

Infiniti (54)

BMW (52)

Nissan (51)

Audi (46)

Kia (45)

GMC (43)

Chevrolet (42)

Volvo (41)

Jeep (41)

Mercedes-Benz (40)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GM is the first on the list that has the most room behind the 3rd row seat while up.

2021 Chevy Tahoe Diesel's Skidpad Performance Limited by Top Speed (yahoo.com) So beyond the potential oiling issue mentioned previously, what is up with the stability control on this generation? Are they that unstable at speed that they need stability control to activate at what appears to be normal driving? That would worry me. Based on the numbers they are getting, a WW2 jeep could outcorner one. Have any new owners noticed this?

I am in the drive it like you stole it camp usually and our '21 handles tons better while drifting around corners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs