Comp cam VS ZR1 cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01TX_Tahoe

Semper Fi
Reaction score
Anyone here done this swap already? What are the benefits or pros and cons of the two? I'm looking to swap out my cam soon but just started looking online and seen where some guys are going with the ZR1 cam. Can anyone shed some light here please?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually before I post anything. What are you trying to gain and where? bottom, mid, top?

The Zr1 aka Ls9 cam is a forced induction cam. While it will work in a NA setup. there are Far better options available.
Not to mention the other changes you will need to do. Its not a plug n play cam.

You going to swap springs?
Ready to do a converter install?
Do you want to Tow, Ever?
Gear changes?

There is a lot more to tossing in some random bump stick and hoping for the best.

Last edited:

Rexmburns

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Most cams you will find are geared more towards cars with higher lift durations requiring higher lift springs and longer push rods and will make better power in the higher rpm range. Your best bet would be to call a good cam grinder and talk to them about what your goals are and they should be able to give you the best options to meet your needs. Check out Brian Tooley racing they make 3 options specially designed for trucks to keep the power a little lower in the rpm range with lower lift durations to be able to run stock springs and push rods but still make a good bit of power. You can get a cam and new factory springs for just over $400 from him to. I was going to go this route until my machine shop that is rebuilding my 5.3 short block for my s10 blazer told me he can have a cam ground to any specs for about $250 for me so I'll have him get me get me one and save some cash! You can also get that "big cam" sound out of a smaller cam which most people want. The sound comes from the lobe overlap and can be had with smaller cams. Like ezdaar said there can be allot that goes along with a cam swap but if you don't get too radical you can do just a cam and likely a bit of tuning to get the most out of it or you can go crazy and change many other things in conjunction with it. The other thing I will recommend regardless of what cam you choose is to do a trunion upgrade when you do the cam. It's cheap insurance to ensure you won't have a bunch of metal floating around inside your motor. Tooley also makes what I have read to be the better/best option for those at the best price as well. No I don't have any affiliation with them lol just spent allot of time researching building a strong and reliable LS motor for my Blazer

OP
OP
01TX_Tahoe

01TX_Tahoe

Semper Fi
Reaction score
My Tahoe has the tow package but I really don't tow anything. The last thing I towed was a Uhaul trailer to College Station and that's it. Really just looking to gain a little more oomph when I punch it. My engine is nearing 200k miles so I figured now would be the best time to either beef it up or do a 6.0 swap. I'm planning on swapping the headers and exhaust too.

OP
OP
01TX_Tahoe

01TX_Tahoe

Semper Fi
Reaction score
This is my DD so it's kinda hard for me. I'd have to find one, build it, get it ready and then swap it out quick. That's what sucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tadsher