Code : P2A04 Oxygen sensor question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It normalwise make no sene to change 4 oxygen sensors. The two in front of the cat are the relevant. They measure rest oxygen and give this values to the ecm to influence the injection amount.

The two behind the cats are only diagnose sensors to check, it the cats are working. Even when fail completely you have no bad running engine..

As well you can measure if the oxygen sensors working with a genuine multimeter.

That you have an o2 sensor error can be consequencial error, because if your combustion has problems for other reason, like air lecks in the intake, or a worn out maf, the o2 sensor can come to their measuring limit and you can have a code, even when they are good.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It normalwise make no sene to change 4 oxygen sensors. The two in front of the cat are the relevant. They measure rest oxygen and give this values to the ecm to influence the injection amount.

The two behind the cats are only diagnose sensors to check, it the cats are working. Even when fail completely you have no bad running engine..

As well you can measure if the oxygen sensors working with a genuine multimeter.

That you have an o2 sensor error can be consequencial error, because if your combustion has problems for other reason, like air lecks in the intake, or a worn out maf, the o2 sensor can come to their measuring limit and you can have a code, even when they are good.
I hear you....... I need such little repairs on my Yukon, and it has 172,000, the trouble code is sensor 2 bank 2, ..... I don't want to wait for another fault in the future. I am the type to 'service' what is 'old'. I believe in preventative maintenance. I appreciate your suggestions.

lyncht1967

Reaction score
yes, the two rear are inconsequential to engine performance, but will throw a light when they decide to go lazy...at your mileage now I think its a good call to knock out all four as you intend..

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you....... I need such little repairs on my Yukon, and it has 172,000, the trouble code is sensor 2 bank 2, ..... I don't want to wait for another fault in the future. I am the type to 'service' what is 'old'. I believe in preventative maintenance. I appreciate your suggestions.
You are absolutely right, I see that the same way.

I repair on my car everything in time. If you let the things add up, someday the car is in a conditiom, where it is to expensive to put it back in service. If you keep repairing, you can drive the car, so to speak, into the eternity,

Expecially our trucks, which are very well made and where the main parts like, engine, transmission, axles, brakes are build to last long and to be serviced easy.

If I would have an oxygen error on oxigen sensor two, I would as well change both. i just wanted to say, that, if you have an oxygen sensor error from the main oxigen sensors and you are looking for the problem, then is not economical to change all four.

OP
OP
mountie

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are absolutely right, I see that the same way.

I repair on my car everything in time. If you let the things add up, someday the car is in a conditiom, where it is to expensive to put it back in service. If you keep repairing, you can drive the car, so to speak, into the eternity,

Expecially our trucks, which are very well made and where the main parts like, engine, transmission, axles, brakes are build to last long and to be serviced easy.

If I would have an oxygen error on oxigen sensor two, I would as well change both. i just wanted to say, that, if you have an oxygen sensor error from the main oxigen sensors and you are looking for the problem, then is not economical to change all four.
It's due to the age of all sensors.

mwilson62000

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must be something about 05 XL’s and about 170k on the clock. This past August mine had same code for same sensor. Just over 170k on mine. New ACDelcos all the way around for me as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz