Clunking noise when in park and neutral

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toneneal717

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently got a 97 tahoe and yesterday got really cold and starts making this noise and dying out upon start up unless i give it some gas but also having a problem with the gas gauge. Have videos . Any ideas what the problems may be/ how to fix them will be appreciated thanks.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t hear it that well but I’m old. Is it louder outside? Did these problems start at the same time? Have you checked your battery ground wires? I only got to watch the video once what were the other dash lights on? Sorry for the ??? Just need more info

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn’t listen to you vids but I remember reading something way back when those trucks were new about bell housing bolts were loose from factory....I would check ujoints, pinion, all the normal clunk sounds.

Edit, i listened... if you can vid from underneath itd be better. It sounds like an engine knock to me but check flywheel bolts first.

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not related but the gauge fix is easy, there’s a fairly recent video in Interiors (I think) about replacing it.
Do it early before it breaks your oil gauge also and adds another $45.

As for the knock, do you have any SES lights or trouble codes?

OP
OP
T

Toneneal717

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found out the clunk is most likely worn u joints. shaft has a good amount of play .Planning to replace both

OP
OP
T

Toneneal717

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Knock came back after the weather warmed up a bit changed the oil and gasket for the pan and was told by an home mechanic that i had a bent rod so may be lookin at a replace or rebuild but im just not sure if thats it because its strange that the knocking stops upon acceleration is that normal for a rod knock to just stop and start when accelerating and idling

OP
OP
T

Toneneal717

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Found out the cat was bad so changed it out with high flo cat and changed the manifold out for some headers. No more knocking it was the honeycomb spinning in the cat at idle and clogging the cat when accelerating. Thanks for the input everybody

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad that worked out. It’s very different from earlier thoughts like rods or the u joints. How did you find out it was the cat? And you’re right a rod would knock all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grooter8824

Latest posts