Clearcoat touchup.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been blathering about the clearcoat issues and haven't got much response.

I will NOT be doing a full repaint. Out of the question entirely. I'm not super fussy about exterior appearance, but the clearcoat is annoying.

This is 20 minutes with some 1500 grit wet or dry, some buffing compound and a little elbow grease. I haven't sprayed any topcoat on this spot, just wet sanded and rubbed. Yes, you can still see the defects and it needs more work. But I wanted to see if I could do anything at all before buying a sander/buffer to do a larger area.

I'll have to pull the brake light, but I'll be working around the luggage rack trim. Once I see what happens here, I'll try the larger areas of the roof in front of the rack. Then I might see about the hood, which is the spot I see most.

CCFirstStep.jpg

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Please keep the tips and pics coming. I’ve got a spot near my roof rack that needs it.

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it perfect? No.

Is it pro paint shop quality? No

Is it show car quality? No.

Is it good enough for me having not spent over a thousand dollars? You Betcha' !!!!

This is still early though. Still trying to sort out tools, fluids and steps before I take o0n the hood that I'll see most of the time. The darker spots I think are areas that were too oxidized and Sun damaged to be recovered this way. And that's likely why they say strip and repaint. But I'm not that fussy. You really only see them when looking down on it rom above. Not so much when looking from an angle.

Sunburn2.jpgSunburn3.jpgSunburn4.jpgSunburn5.jpg

I'll go back over it again with a good surface wax to protect it some. I haven't decided if I want to try the clear spray I bought. It'll be parked in the garage most of the time, so no more Sun baking.

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not great pictures. Taken inside the garage and got a lot of reflection from the overhead door. Posting as much for my own logging as anything else.

First pass on the hood. Right section was every bit as bad as the left section, maybe worse. Still needs more once I get time to go at it again. Just wanted to see if it would accomplish anything at all.

Hood.jpgHood2.jpg