Chrome wheels, plastic coated?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about some chrome multi spoke wheels of some sort, OE styled. Friend of mine was telling me that all the current factory chrome wheels like this are actually chrome plastic coated. Says some guys remove that plastic and polish up the actual aluminum to get that type look.

Are the newer wheels actually not chrome plated?

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about some chrome multi spoke wheels of some sort, OE styled. Friend of mine was telling me that all the current factory chrome wheels like this are actually chrome plastic coated. Says some guys remove that plastic and polish up the actual aluminum to get that type look.

Are the newer wheels actually not chrome plated?
I wouldn’t say they’re “plastic coated”. But most chrome wheels in my experience will start to flake when neglected over years. Especially in the rust belt and heavily salted areas.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually you can strip off the clear coat used on regular aluminum wheels pretty easily. I'm not sure how you'd remove the chrome plating from those wheels though. Sounds like quite the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesertGator

Latest posts