Check Your Engine Oil Level!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few days ago I checked the oil level on our Tahoe with the 5.3 and discovered it is overfilled. I don't know if it left the factory this way or if I am getting fuel contamination into my oil. TSB 10179642 talks about this and a major cause is short trips. Since this is my wife's Tahoe it does not see the long trips like my Pilot sees when I drive to work. I reached out to the dealer to see what they wanted to do on this. I will be pulling a sample and sending it to Blackstone Labs so I know what is really going on with my oil. I had this happen on our 2010 GMC Terrain when the high pressure fuel pump seals failed and leaked fuel into the crankcase. That engine never got better than 22 mpg on the highway even though it was suppose to get over 30 mpg. Ever since that happened I am keeping a close eye on oil levels. I just wish I would have checked the oil level when I bought it. Maybe the factory is overfilling them so if someone with very low miles on the odometer would post up their level it would be awesome. I will keep everyone posted with dealer response and/or what Blackstone finds in the oil.high oil level.jpg hours and miles.jpg hours and miles.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If my dipstick read that level. I personally would not worry about it unless you do get a negative oil report. That level does not worry me at all. Your new rig, well hell, I would be checking too.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DEALER UPDATE-------- The dealer emailed me today to tell us to bring our Tahoe in for an oil and filter change free of charge. They will check the oil for fuel and measure how much oil came out of the engine. I told them I will swing it by once my Blackstone Lab oil sample kit arrives. I will have them pull me a sample so they have a more accurate measurement of how much oil is currently in the engine.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If my dipstick read that level. I personally would not worry about it unless you do get a negative oil report. That level does not worry me at all. Your new rig, well hell, I would be checking too.

After the lower half of our terrains engine got damaged by sheared down oil I am paranoid big time. I almost overflowed a 8 quart oil drain pan when I did my 3000 mile oil change. I about shit myself when I learned the vehicle took less than 5 quarts. The engine was filled with fuel. Oh and by the way GMC never did anything for us even though it was caused by a bad high pressure fuel pump seal. They stated if we travel 50 mph on level ground with no wind the MPG would be good enough. I was so pissed I avoided GM products for close to a decade. I had a 4 cylinder pos that could not tow anything and was getting v8 gas mileage :(

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
After the lower half of our terrains engine got damaged by sheared down oil I am paranoid big time. I almost overflowed a 8 quart oil drain pan when I did my 3000 mile oil change. I about shit myself when I learned the vehicle took less than 5 quarts. The engine was filled with fuel. Oh and by the way GMC never did anything for us even though it was caused by a bad high pressure fuel pump seal. They stated if we travel 50 mph on level ground with no wind the MPG would be good enough. I was so pissed I avoided GM products for close to a decade. I had a 4 cylinder pos that could not tow anything and was getting v8 gas mileage :(
Should've tried another dealer with the Terrain. The answer they gave you was the dumbest thing I ever read.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should've tried another dealer with the Terrain. The answer they gave you was the dumbest thing I ever read.
Actually that answer was from the regional GMC rep. The dealer would have replaced the engine if given the go ahead.

Dogged

Reaction score
FYI, that small overfill is probably not anything to worry about. In fact, if you were to run in a brand new engine until the computer change interval, you would probably want that little extra until everything seats in well and it slips a bit of oil.

One thing to note for everyone, is the manual says to wait 15 minutes to 2 hours after you shut it off to measure the oil level. Guess checking it at a gas station just got a little less accurate...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few days ago I checked the oil level on our Tahoe with the 5.3 and discovered it is overfilled. I don't know if it left the factory this way or if I am getting fuel contamination into my oil. TSB 10179642 talks about this and a major cause is short trips. Since this is my wife's Tahoe it does not see the long trips like my Pilot sees when I drive to work.

It's not good to take multiple short trips consistently, like when working 5 minutes from home. My wife used to do that and would take the long way home just to get the motor up to temp and burn off any condensation in the crankcase. Maybe swap cars with her a day or two a week.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not good to take multiple short trips consistently, like when working 5 minutes from home. My wife used to do that and would take the long way home just to get the motor up to temp and burn off any condensation in the crankcase. Maybe swap cars with her a day or two a week.
I would but I am scared shitless to drive it after dark. It took over a month just to get a fuel pump I sure as hell would not like to see how long it would take to get parts for a deer strike :( I almost smoked one this past Thursday in my Honda Pilot. I slammed on the brake and could only see his head and antlers once I came to a stop. He was inches from the front of my grill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645