Cheapest work around for the ZW7 rear shock replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andyd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just finished the conversion. I ordered all the parts from Rock auto. $140.00 shipped to my door for a 2003 Yukon xl 1500. 2 Gabriel shocks #61675,1 set of Moog 81071 springs and 4 insulators # Moog K160072. It took about 2 hours and it rides perfect. I do not tow so the 81071 springs are great and restored the nice ride the yukon is known for.. I did not need a spring compressor and it took a little muscle to get the new springs in but it is doable. Trick #1 is to install the isolators first I used a dead blow hammer on the bottoms and the tops will hold themselves on to the upper locations. Warning #1 watch the center brake line attached to the top of the differential as it will be at its max length and if you pull to hard you may damage it. Other than that it was pretty easy. I like the ride better than the Nivomats. And the price of 2 nivomats Vs this conversion is a no brainer.

Rubberchicken8

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For my 2006 Z71 Tahoe , code ZW7

Replaced Sachs 10363040 rear shocks with Part #: NS 58639
Line: NAPA Shocks and Struts
Price
$177.99 - pair

GM parts house can no longer get the Sachs shocks, the price was $586 a piece. I think Napa can get em... for $734 a piece. Soooo, nope I didn't do that.

The NS shocks are heavier duty. Installed and they feel just fine.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For my 2006 Z71 Tahoe , code ZW7

Replaced Sachs 10363040 rear shocks with Part #: NS 58639
Line: NAPA Shocks and Struts
Price
$177.99 - pair

GM parts house can no longer get the Sachs shocks, the price was $586 a piece. I think Napa can get em... for $734 a piece. Soooo, nope I didn't do that.

The NS shocks are heavier duty. Installed and they feel just fine.

You have the ZW7 suspension code on a Z71 truck?

Ordo 87

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
They only a little more expensive, but...

when you're able, I recommend upgrading to the Rancho S9000XL since they are even better than FOX in cold temps. I live in Alaska and keep them on the 5-7 settings depending on what I'm doing but they are rock solid, even better than the Bilsteins.

I put the Bilsteins with the Moog problem solver HD springs with a 1.5 in spacer on with the 3" leveling keys when I initially got the Yukon.
I stripped out the Arnott and all the autoride shocks/compressor since it rode like a 1975 Cadillac bouncing all over down the road, my wife even got car sick because of it!

I towed a boat a few times and the rear sagged maybe an inch or two with the Bilsteins/Moog springs w/ spacer.

In the cold the Rancho's perform quite a bit better, Rancho uses higher quality seals than many of the higher end suspension.
Fox shocks keep local shops up here busy with shock rebuilds brand new out of the box!

Also the Rancho's have 9 positions to firm it up when you need to do any towing.

Let me know if you want to know more cause I was doing to same thing, making something that was clearly not set up for off road from the assembly line, correct for off road application.

It has been a saga for me and it seems to be ongoing...

1680212297735.png

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Nivomats that came off a 02 model with 150,000 miles on them for sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dprdmd