Cheapest work around for the ZW7 rear shock replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idaho45guy

Reaction score
I didn't think the post really fit in the "street suspension" forum since it's 4wd and I use it off-road, and not looking to lift it (but wouldn't mind an extra inch or so...That's what she said...).

If a mod thinks it is better suited somewhere else, go for it...

So, 2005 Yukon, 92k miles or so, beautiful condition. ZW7 code in glove box and giant OEM shocks in the rear.

Drove great last week. Then we had some unusually cold weather that I had to drive to work in. Around -5.

The next day, I noticed it is handling funny. Hit a bump and the rear keeps bouncing. Temps warm up and I drive it 30 miles on a rural highway and it is still bad; really sketchy handling.

Go to order a set of Skyjacker shocks and discover this whole stupid ZW7 issue.

Read a bunch of threads and seems that the best option is the Bilstein replacement of coils and shocks for $262 on Amazon.

I use my vehicle to tow a pop-up camper and a utility trailer with my side by side, so I need beefier rear components.

However, won't be towing for a couple of months and can possibly drive it like it is for a little bit longer while I research more options.

So, to be absolutely clear, the rear coils are somewhat softer and are reinforced by the ZW7 spec shocks. So if I replace the factory shocks with regular shocks, the rear will sag a couple of inches?

No junk yards around here and everything is buried in a couple of feet of snow, so no going that route for cheaper factory non ZW7 coils.

Also, my concrete drive where I do repairs is under 2' of snow, so I have to pay a shop to do the install, which will be another couple of hundred dollars.

I found a couple of cheaper kits on Amazon for around $195, but for $70 more dollars, I'd go with Bilsteins.

But then I stumbled across these shocks which appear to not need the coils replaced...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XVGN5Y/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

shocks.JPG

They appear to simply be beefier shocks with coilovers to replace the factory shocks for half the price of the Bilsteins.

Anyone try these?

Or what about old school air shocks that can be manually adjusted to provide the proper amount of lift?

Does anyone even make those anymore?

If I have to spend the $270 for the kit, then another $200 on the install, I will grit my teeth. But I really wasn't expecting a $500 repair for something so random and silly as shocks simply wearing out.

OP
OP
Idaho45guy

Idaho45guy

Reaction score
Found another source for the coilovers and it seems that they are designed to replace the air shock system, which I believe uses a standard strength coil instead of the weaker ones with the ZW7...

"Rear New Electronic to Passive Conversion Kit (150G-30-R-RES) by Suncore®. Quantity: Sold as a Kit. With Rear Heavy Duty Gas Shock Absorbers. This is a Low Cost Alternative to OEM active electronic Shocks. This kit will convert your vehicle from Active Electronic Air Shocks to Passive Coil Over Gas Shocks. Replacing your Air Shocks with Passive Coil over Shocks will eliminate the need for the Air Shocks and Compressor. This kit will keep the car at factory height while providing a smooth car ride. How to disable the air suspension light is provided in the instructions.
Catalog more details on - https://www.carid.com/suncore/passive-suspension-conversion-kit-mpn-150g-30-r-res.html#reviews"

So confused... These coilovers are only $90 a pair on CaRiD and would be the cheapest and easiest route to go... If they will maintain the proper ride height...

OP
OP
Idaho45guy

Idaho45guy

Reaction score
Did some more digging and found Moog replacement coil springs on Amazon for $55. Part # 81069.

These supposedly are replacements for the Z71 coils and are much beefier than the ZM7 coils.

So, I could buy those, plus standard shocks at $50 each, and be good to go.

Only question now is what shocks to go with. Love the Bilstein 5100s at $67 each, but there are some other decently rated shocks at $50 or less...

Massfloefi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am currently using in the rear.

https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-58639...8639&qid=1551903624&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

Very similar to the ones you have listed. I'm sure it's the same manufacturer. I would go with amazon personally because being able to return a faulty product for 30 days with Prime is priceless.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00498UJ0U/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_t
itle?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Moog-K160072...XZM3BWJ5G0T&psc=1&refRID=12137N5WPXZM3BWJ5G0T

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Timbren/TGMRYS4.html

Not sure how much your pop up and utility trailer/combo weigh but doesn't sound like a ton? How often do you tow? Do you use a weight distribution system? Most folks who tow on the regular will tell you to go with Moog 81069 coils over the ones I have listed. The Moog 81069 will increase the height of your rear end by around 2".

Originally I went with the coils above and bilstein's all around and hated the ride. Mainly because I was living in NYC and every pothole was painful to hit. Most gents on this forum love theirs and that probably has to do with the better roads they live on. They handled very well and are made well. I can't comment on how much load they can take or the handling under load but reviews on this forum point to positive experiences.

When I installed the Monroe's they did lift my rear about 1" on their own. I was happy with that because I preferred the stance and I knew that I would be loading the truck for my very recent drive cross country. Unloaded they ride nicely. My 05 Yukon XL Denali was loaded from the second row all the way back and a cargo hitch carrier connected to the hitch that weighs at least 75 lbs and I am guessing another 200 lbs on the carrier. The Monroe's did sag enough to sit on my Timbrens but I have no complaints. Wish I could compare and see how much they would continue to sag without the Timbrens but they are a pain to install and remove.

If I was in your position and going to tow often during the summer I would get the slightly taller Moog 81069 and the Monroes shocks I have listed for a total of about $158. Make sure to get new insulators. They are cheap. The Moog's will definitely lift the rear 2" unloaded so If you're ok with the look go for it. I have heard no ill effects and you will get less sag under load especially with the coil over shock combo.

Massfloefi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some more digging and found Moog replacement coil springs on Amazon for $55. Part # 81069.

These supposedly are replacements for the Z71 coils and are much beefier than the ZM7 coils.

So, I could buy those, plus standard shocks at $50 each, and be good to go.

Only question now is what shocks to go with. Love the Bilstein 5100s at $67 each, but there are some other decently rated shocks at $50 or less...

If you love the Bilstein's then I would say pick them up instead. Price difference at that point is negligible.

OP
OP
Idaho45guy

Idaho45guy

Reaction score
Ended up ordering the Moog coils for $60 delivered through Amazon.

Then did some searching and found some very favorable reviews of the Monroe Gas Magnums. They were $42 each on Amazon, but further searching found WalMart online selling them for $25 each.

So went with those for $55 delivered.

I think $115 was the cheapest I was going to get this thing fixed and still have some decent components.

Now to see what the shop is going to charge to install them...

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, 2005 Yukon, 92k miles or so, beautiful condition. ZW7 code in glove box and giant OEM shocks in the rear.

You also have code G69 and this code combined with ZW7 is for the Nivomat rear self-adjusting shocks with the lighter coil springs.

A truck with just ZW7 has standard shocks and stiffer springs, the simplest configuration for a smooth ride.

OP
OP
Idaho45guy

Idaho45guy

Reaction score
Got in all the parts and the snow finally melted off my lower driveway so had time to do the install today.

Local shop bid the job at $338 for labor only.

Took me just over two hours.

Very non-technical job. Hardest part was getting the rig in the air high enough and safe enough. My floor jack went bad, so had to use a Hi-Lift and a bottle jack. Sketchy, but I lived.

Before install, wheel well opening was just over 36"...

IMG_20190321_132446518_HDR.jpg

After, it was over 38"...

IMG_20190321_151025724_HDR.jpg

Was told about an inch of lift with the Z71 springs, so was surprised at the 2". Will likely settle after I drive it a bit.

Old shocks were just toast with fluid leaking everywhere and could just be moved up and down by hand easily.

IMG_20190321_143302034_HDR.jpg

Front was previously lifted 1.5" by cranking the torsion bars and was a little higher than the back. Now, it is back to factory stance, but hopefully it will settle. No road test yet, but will do that in an hour or so.

IMG_20190321_154638400_HDR.jpg

OP
OP
Idaho45guy

Idaho45guy

Reaction score
Road test went awesome! Ride is definitely firmer now, but no more bouncing and leaning. Very, very happy with the results. Hopefully it will handle towing my little camper and UTV better, now.

andyd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I didn't think the post really fit in the "street suspension" forum since it's 4wd and I use it off-road, and not looking to lift it (but wouldn't mind an extra inch or so...That's what she said...).

If a mod thinks it is better suited somewhere else, go for it...

Drove great last week. Then we had some unusually cold weather that I had to drive to work in. Around -5.

The next day, I noticed it is handling funny. Hit a bump and the rear keeps bouncing. Temps warm up and I drive it 30 miles on a rural highway and it is still bad; really sketchy handling.

Go to order a set of Skyjacker shocks and discover this whole stupid ZW7 issue.

Read a bunch of threads and seems that the best option is the Bilstein replacement of coils and shocks for $262 on Amazon.

I use my vehicle to tow a pop-up camper and a utility trailer with my side by side, so I need beefier rear components.

However, won't be towing for a couple of months and can possibly drive it like it is for a little bit longer while I research more options.

So, to be absolutely clear, the rear coils are somewhat softer and are reinforced by the ZW7 spec shocks. So if I replace the factory shocks with regular shocks, the rear will sag a couple of inches?

No junk yards around here and everything is buried in a couple of feet of snow, so no going that route for cheaper factory non ZW7 coils.

Also, my concrete drive where I do repairs is under 2' of snow, so I have to pay a shop to do the install, which will be another couple of hundred dollars.

I found a couple of cheaper kits on Amazon for around $195, but for $70 more dollars, I'd go with Bilsteins.

But then I stumbled across these shocks which appear to not need the coils replaced...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XVGN5Y/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

View attachment 218073

They appear to simply be beefier shocks with coilovers to replace the factory shocks for half the price of the Bilsteins.

Anyone try these?

Or what about old school air shocks that can be manually adjusted to provide the proper amount of lift?

Does anyone even make those anymore?

If I have to spend the $270 for the kit, then another $200 on the install, I will grit my teeth. But I really wasn't expecting a $500 repair for something so random and silly as shocks simply wearing out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans