Chasing the "low voltage" on the instrument cluster "fixed it!!"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
After installing a Bosch reman alternator DR44 160 amp. costing $303.00, Driving the car 500 miles to sedona and seeing a "service charge system" on the DIC. Buying a NAPA premium reman DR44 160 amp,$176.00 a new tensioner and belt $93.00, Heading off to the grand canyon but stopping in flagstaff AZ to purchase a 175 amp fuse $9.00 thinking it may be the culprit causing the "intermittent low voltage" I have been informed via youtube of the "RVC, ie regulated voltage control" that is part of this vehicle. All the rising and falling on the volt gauge are by design to save fuel, batteries, alternators??????
I consider my self to be a mechanic but this one kicked my ass! not to mention my wife busting my you know "are you sure you didnt buy a lemon?" "how much is this costing?" had i searched here first would i have saved myself $500? We have only owned the vehicle for about 3 weeks, 08" yukon denali xl awd 6.2 with 125k and just finshed a 1500 mile roadtrip to the grand canyon and back. All these repairs were done on the road with a 15mm socket/ratchet and a 10mm wrench! We love this vehicle and traded our 03 tahoe as a down payment and dont have a single regret. I am wondering why the one DIC service charge system popped? maybe the enging power module? This experience taught me that cars and technology are allways changing, "STAY INFORMED" or squander cash.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After installing a Bosch reman alternator DR44 160 amp. costing $303.00, Driving the car 500 miles to sedona and seeing a "service charge system" on the DIC. Buying a NAPA premium reman DR44 160 amp,$176.00 a new tensioner and belt $93.00, Heading off to the grand canyon but stopping in flagstaff AZ to purchase a 175 amp fuse $9.00 thinking it may be the culprit causing the "intermittent low voltage" I have been informed via youtube of the "RVC, ie regulated voltage control" that is part of this vehicle. All the rising and falling on the volt gauge are by design to save fuel, batteries, alternators??????
I consider my self to be a mechanic but this one kicked my ass! not to mention my wife busting my you know "are you sure you didnt buy a lemon?" "how much is this costing?" had i searched here first would i have saved myself $500? We have only owned the vehicle for about 3 weeks, 08" yukon denali xl awd 6.2 with 125k and just finshed a 1500 mile roadtrip to the grand canyon and back. All these repairs were done on the road with a 15mm socket/ratchet and a 10mm wrench! We love this vehicle and traded our 03 tahoe as a down payment and dont have a single regret. I am wondering why the one DIC service charge system popped? maybe the enging power module? This experience taught me that cars and technology are allways changing, "STAY INFORMED" or squander cash.
I had my ex wife's 04 suburban pop up with the same message, figured it had to be the alternator and I happened to have a good spare sitting in the garage, swapped it out and about 3 days later it comes back again, I told it her it's just weird, it popped up again about 3-4 months later and then hasn't reared it's head again that I know of (she hasn't mentioned it) and that's been over a year. it's either just glitchy or it has a very intermittent ground problem, these nnbs however are known to sometimes develop a bad ground (the battery ground wire corrodes inside the cable) so something to consider if it keep reoccurring. I added a 2nd battery and 2 more 0 gauge ground wires to mine.

OP
OP
T

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info/reply. I forgot to add the battery ground to the parts list, i replaced that also. i am going to provide an additional engine to chassis 2.0 and than use a heavy duty lug with the correct hole size for the main alternator charge wire. A heavy "correct fitting" lug will help dissapate heat from the alt internal charge circuit?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill research the TECH2 as this vehicle is a "keeper"

I consider them absolutely essential to keeping these running in top form and not wasting money on repairs. Mine has paid for itself several times already. Check around this forum to see who may have the best deals, several guys have bought them in the past days/weeks on here.

OP
OP
T

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I consider them absolutely essential to keeping these running in top form and not wasting money on repairs. Mine has paid for itself several times already. Check around this forum to see who may have the best deals, several guys have bought them in the past days/weeks on here.

oops i was looking on E-***! i will purchase from a vendor that advertises on this site. Thanks again.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I searched for over 6 months and finally one popped up on OfferUp, a real OEM Tech2 for $400
Totally worth it.