New Instrument Cluster Failed on 2022

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

509Yukon

Reaction score
As part of the OTA update that bricked my 2022 Yukon the dealer replaced the instrument cluster. Now roughly a month since those repairs, which took 26 days out of service at the dealer, the new instrument cluster failed yesterday while my wife was driving on the freeway. It did come back on after a time on its own but obviously something is going on.

I read of a previous software update to fix a this or something similar but you would think a new cluster installed just last month would have been shipped with the updated software or the dealer would have updated it as part of the installation process.

Off to the dealer again it goes. I also sent an email to GM customer assistance making them aware of the latest and referenced my existing case number while they work through other issues. This vehicle is demon possessed.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You would think a replacement cluster would have the latest software (or the dealer would have updated all the necessary code when installing), but I wouldn't assume anything. What's the first thing we're told to do when we receive a piece of electronics? That's right, update the code since the piece may have been sitting in a warehouse, all the while new software was being developed for it.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would think a replacement cluster would have the latest software (or the dealer would have updated all the necessary code when installing), but I wouldn't assume anything. What's the first thing we're told to do when we receive a piece of electronics? That's right, update the code since the piece may have been sitting in a warehouse, all the while new software was being developed for it.
You would think...but...you know what assuming does...My guess is there are some interdependencies between various levels on the IPC (instrument Panel Cluster), Infotainment Unit, BCM, HUD, etc.

I know early in my ownership, they bricked my IPC after it kept getting "servicen instrument cluster" errors, and they tried to update it to the latest...well, it bricked the IPC, and the "fix" was to install a new IPC and update it. So, yes, it happens.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hah, just wait till those babies are no longer in warranty going be $2k or more
Thats why you get an extended warranty early. One decent fix pays for it and you still have it...
I used to be against them, but with these machines' complexity and vulnerability...not so dumb anymore...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats why you get an extended warranty early. One decent fix pays for it and you still have it...
I used to be against them, but with these machines' complexity and vulnerability...not so dumb anymore...
even "extended" warranties end

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even "extended" warranties end
If I get through 6 to 7 years with a vehicle. It has pretty much done its time with me by then. Technology has moved on to other levels and they are starting to get long in the tooth. I know some people keep them 10+ years etc. etc..If I get through 6 to 7 years with a vehicle. It has pretty much done it’s time with me by then. If it’s trouble free, then, so much the better. My last vehicle, my extended warranty paid off well over what I paid for it.
After 6 years or so, Technology has moved on to other levels and they are starting to get long in the tooth. I know people keep them 10+ years etc. etc. but I’m not going to live a hell of a lot longer. I might only have one or two more new vehicles, and I’m not leaving it to my kids…..

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
w'ell know in a few years if they hold up or not, really depends on the quality of the parts used.
I have a pair 25.5" lcd monitors that have been on 24/7 for over 15 years and still work fine..
I also have a 12 year old plasma tv that has been on a majority of it's lifetime and it works perfectly, all the reports said that plasma wouldn't last long
but yet there it is.

OP
OP

509Yukon

Reaction score
Update on this latest service visit over the yet again failed instrument cluster and the HVAC fan speed glitch. I took the Yukon in on the morning of the 26th and that afternoon received a call stating they are waiting on more instructions from GM but it looked like it would be getting another instrument cluster (a total of three then if counting original production) as well as a software update, more info is to come the next day.

Well early afternoon today I got a call from the advisor saying the vehicle was ready, it just needed a software update. I asked if it was a different update from the one it got just recently after the OTA bricked vehicle and also from yet another update that messed up my A/C and apparently the cluster...he had no answer.

I picked up the Yukon and drove less than 3 miles and stopped for fuel, upon restarting the HVAC failed yet again. Called the dealer and am to go back in again on Monday.

On the way home I called GM customer care, a very nice lady got 15 minutes of earful as she updated the existing case. This is a mess, they have no idea what is wrong and likely no road map to fix it considering as long as this is taking for many of the forum members here.

2022 with 20,000 miles and my wife said yesterday and today to get rid of it, but how do I sell a vehicle with outstanding issues? I need to do some calculations but believe I'm now at 29 days out of service, I can only assume a manufacturer repurchase is the solution.

It's a bum deal, so much is right with these SUV's, it is comfortable, etc. Software glitches and whatever else though takes the love away very quickly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia