Ceramic coat questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been seeing a lot of people here talking about ceramic coating their trucks. I have a 21 Yukon XL that I bought last fall, it has only 1000mi on it and hasn't seen snow or salt yet. I was wondering how long does ceramic coat last, does it seal paint and clear coat, I've seen people coat their windows too, and what's the average cost for an XL size vehicle.

Thanks for the help.

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been seeing a lot of people here talking about ceramic coating their trucks. I have a 21 Yukon XL that I bought last fall, it has only 1000mi on it and hasn't seen snow or salt yet. I was wondering how long does ceramic coat last, does it seal paint and clear coat, I've seen people coat their windows too, and what's the average cost for an XL size vehicle.

Thanks for the help.
Not sure exactly on the longevity but have read it lasts 3-5 years? As for the cost, if done right expect to pay a few thousand dollars depending on where you are located. Most places, if they know what they are doing will require the exterior be fully detailed before applying the coating.

Steebu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go to youtube and search for “ceramic coat” - lots of great resources. The biggest thing is to find a reputable detailer.

Also, lots of misconceptions are dealt with, like, “If I get a ceramic coat I don’t need to wash my car, right?” or, “Does coating protect my car from rock damage?”

Leaning towards doing a PPF nose bra and ceramic coating once I get my rig.

OP
OP
Baja_Bob

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I assume that a ceramic coated vehicle wouldn't need to be waxed for a long time

ljn21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for the help.
Longevity will vary greatly by product brand and how well the surface is prepped prior to coating and what your maintenance routine is. If you want to do it yourself; there are several good detailing specific online forums with good information or you can go with a professional company like Ceramic Pro (pretty sure they are nationwide). Surface prep is absolutely critical both for longevity and how it looks after. In addition to some of the fallacies mentioned above, the other one is that ceramic coatings don’t need any maintenance. That’s false, you will still want to use topper products after coating. I use either Carpro Elixer or Myiabi Over Coat but you don’t have to spend an arm or leg on a topper…Turtle Wax Seal and Shine gets awesome reviews and it’s like $10 a bottle. Watch YouTube videos for reviews and torture tests of coatings…quite a rabbit hole once you start researching.

Vinnoto1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for the help.
Just got a price for a ceramic coating on a Yukon For $1795, I would expect the XL to be a little higher. I looked for a shop using Xpel products, this is in NJ.

Last edited:

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the Meguiars's brand at Wal-Mart for $15 and you are set. All 4 of my cars are done and they bead up nicely. It's rained here for 4 days and my Tahoe still looks clean.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ljn21 is absolutely correct. You have to follow the application directions exactly. if not brand new, it make require cleaning the finish with clay or a buffer first.

I ceramic coated my Tahoe with Armor Shield IX from AvalonKing and got beautiful results using only one tiny bottle of the product. It’s super easy and quick to apply once the finish is spotlessly clean and wiped down with IPA. You must apply in small sections (2’x2’) and wipe the haze off as soon as it flashes (about 1 minute). If not, you will play heck removing the haze. It may last 2 years or more if garage kept. AvalonKing has excellent customer support and stands behind the product.

I coated the paint, metallic trim, headlights, windows and wheels. It produced an incredible mirror-like shine.

Mike Diaferio

Reaction score
Ceramic coating is more than water beading up nicely. If done correctly by those who know what they are doing, it is part of the process along with the paint correction which removes all swirl marks etc., from the paint. I have had my 2021 Denali done along with the front end 3M coated. Also had 3M applied to the headlight lens, A pillars, and mirrors. I have a 5 year warranty on it and bring it back every year where they wash and inspect it which was part of the program. To me it has been well worth the spend. The truck always looks good and I use the enhancer spray to keep it looking nice. Very easy to maintain. I have driven through rain storms and the truck always looks good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442