Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to have a bad plug wire changed "under warranty" and I was talking to the service manager just small talk asking how the exhaust was since they installed it for me if I've seen any improvements with the Mods I've done. So i told him about the next mods I was looking into headers big brakes sway bars and a catch can. Well his face dropped. He informed me if I install a catch can and I have any kind of engine failure or malfunction GM will not cover it. He also said the computer hold the last 10 tunes in memory so it's a waste of time setting it back to stock for service and that the headers need to have cats. Any thoughts?

Glocksub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would not at all surprise me if GM attempted to deny any sort of warranty repair on an engine issue if one had the catch can, tuner, etc. I am told they have to actually prove that the failure in question was due to the said modifications, so being able to prove that is another issue.

Personally I've had tuners on diesels in the past, before the government made the manufacturers apply all the current emissions nonsense on them. Never had one issue with either truck at the dealer or otherwise. However I did not have any engine or tranny issues that needed to be repaired either.

I'll put a tune in the SUV I buy this year, to at least disable the AFM and correct the speedometer for a different tire size. But I'd never take any truck to a dealer without removing the tune, for no other reason than if they hook it up to their computer, it can easily erase the tune I've loaded into it. No one at my dealer has ever confirmed if they can see that a tuner was at one time installed on the truck, I go with the assumption that they can see it though.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's hard enough getting GM to admit that a failure is on their part and they should fix it, even on a vehicle that's under their factory warranty and even when the issue is widespread and widely known. You're giving them a free pass if you have any engine issues and they see that the PCM was accessed by anything other than a service department computer. Sure, there may be laws by now that state that they have to prove what your modification(s) caused the failure. But, what's to stop them from pulling their age-old trick of dragging it out until you give in because YOU are the one losing time and/or money over it. It seems more and more that the dealerships are taking the hit on warranty repairs to maintain their customer base because GM denies everydamnedthing.

As for the catch can, I don't see how one could possibly cause anything but good. First off, all you're tapping into is a vacuum line. Secondly, you're just installing a filter in that vacuum line. The system is still sealed and that vacuum circuit still starts and ends at the same place. The amount of vacuum is not affected. Nothing is being added to the air stream and the only thing being removed is the oil that shouldn't be there in the first place. The only way the catch can can cause issues is if the intake needs that engine oil in it (I'll never see a reason for this unless these things are 2-stroke) or the catch can leaks. Even then, it'll be a simple vacuum leak that would cause some codes and rough idling. You can fix it yourself and would be an idiot if you brought it to the dealer expecting them to warranty this.

Last edited:

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tons of Internet-driven myths and misinformation on this general topic, and tons more driven by conversations with service personnel from one shop or dealer to another.

My approach: proactively develop a good relationship with the shop or dealer of your choice, do modest, well reasoned modifications at will, and let the chips fall where they may.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Warranty is just like Car or Health insurance, they only pay because they have to. So if they can prove that you had something to contribute to the failure, need I say more?

OP
OP
TechSupport

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been googling catch cans, and I've found hundreds of them. Only found GM vehicle specific for the corvette and camaro. What's everyone using?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE