Catalytic converter help...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AmunRoo

Reaction score
So here's the back story. I was driving home on the expressway and suddenly start seeing the flashing check engine and I'm feeling misfires. I had my scan tool with me so I plugged it in and found out I'm misfiring on the entire Bank 2 cylinders. A couple days before I started hearing a sort of little rattle. It was like a raspy type of rattle. So I'm thinking it may be the catalytic converter on Bank two that took a dirt nap. Once I got home, I lifted the the truck and took some temperature measurements. At the back of the cat the temperature was almost 700 degrees, while the other cat was around 350-400. I also tapped it with a rubber mallet and heard some stuff rattling around. So the plan is to replace both of them I guess. My question here now is, what are the inlet outlet sizes? I'm trying to move over to a set of high flow cats.

As always, any and I'll help is greatly appreciated

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here's the back story. I was driving home on the expressway and suddenly start seeing the flashing check engine and I'm feeling misfires. I had my scan tool with me so I plugged it in and found out I'm misfiring on the entire Bank 2 cylinders. A couple days before I started hearing a sort of little rattle. It was like a raspy type of rattle. So I'm thinking it may be the catalytic converter on Bank two that took a dirt nap. Once I got home, I lifted the the truck and took some temperature measurements. At the back of the cat the temperature was almost 700 degrees, while the other cat was around 350-400. I also tapped it with a rubber mallet and heard some stuff rattling around. So the plan is to replace both of them I guess. My question here now is, what are the inlet outlet sizes? I'm trying to move over to a set of high flow cats.

if one is 700°C (1300°F) it means you're dumping fuel into it, mine barely does 450°c (850°F) normally

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Put a tape around it and measure or look up by application. I replaced my Y-Pipe and cats with Magnaflow. Cheap, Chicom cats don't last a year.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think BG is on the target here. The converter is working, but being over worked I'm thinking.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also be that dumping fuel and high heat into the cat is causing it to fail. Could be a chicken or egg situation, I would try to find the cause of the rich fuel mixture in that bank.

Would a failing cat cause the bank to be rich? Which problem is the cause here?

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it turned out to be a bad catalytic converter. I ended up replacing them both with flowmaster high flow cats... She's running like a champ now!

Holy crap how many miles you got on her?