"Cat" at Jiffy Lube...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine in college worked at the local Jiffy Lube and said one of the "old" guys had a can full of old crappy transmission fluid that he would take a drop from and pretend that it came from the customer's car to get them to buy a transmission service. The manager knew about it and didn't say a word because he like the bonus he got from all the tranny services they sold.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Just went to JL to get an inspection and oil change on my '03 Tahoe. Cat was the cute young lady tech that was assigned to me. First, she told me that my car's manufacturer recommended a synthetic blend. Really? Then she told me that if I had synthetic oil or a blend and went to conventional oil that it could damage my engine. Really?!? Last but not least, she showed me the JL spec sheet for the Tahoe and said "See, right here it calls for SAE 5W30. That's a synthetic blend." BAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Dude it's jiffy lube. The techs there are simultaneously uneducated on what it is they're working on, and have a pay scale that relies on upsells.

With that said, the half truth in there is seal conditioners / swellers present in some high mileage oils may or may not need a consistent presence in the fluid to work as intended. Part of why I've never used HM fluids in any of my vehicles - manufacturers just aren't transparent about the stuff and how it works.

For a very extreme example of what seal conditioners do when not used as directed, this is a rather entertaining video

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dude it's jiffy lube. The techs there are simultaneously uneducated on what it is they're working on, and have a pay scale that relies on upsells.

With that said, the half truth in there is seal conditioners / swellers present in some high mileage oils may or may not need a consistent presence in the fluid to work as intended. Part of why I've never used HM fluids in any of my vehicles - manufacturers just aren't transparent about the stuff and how it works.

For a very extreme example of what seal conditioners do when not used as directed, this is a rather entertaining video

He has a longer video on that same tranny, disassembling it. What he shows in the short clip is just a small sample of all the seals and o-rings that were damaged by the additives. Kinda makes me sick!

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worked at a Speed Lube when i was younger and it was the same thing. But beyond generic filters were the norm.
There were no long versions of the filters, just the short ones. They met "Speed Lubes book specs" which means they have the same oring size and thread pitch. Cuts down on storage space needed and confusion of the lower ability techs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700