low/no oil from Jiffy Lube and what next?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread is why I still do most of my own oil changes. That and the fact that I had a Walmart overfill my nearly new Subaru by at least 3-4 quarts several years ago. This was in the days before smartphones so I had no way to document it and I was 250 miles down the highway when I discovered it.

I guess the old adage still holds true: If you want a job done right you have to do it yourself. If I do have a shop do an oil change for me, I check their work before I leave the parking lot.

Reaction score
First- new guy and thanks ahead of time for any assistance!

Okay, kind of a weird one here. Some of this doesn't add up, but I know what the end result is, so my main question is what can I do about this now, and is there any legal recourse with Jiffy Lube?

2022 Tahoe 6.2 belonging to my girlfriend. currently about 15k miles.

-she had the oil changed last week on the 31st.
-About 6-700 miles on the car since the oil change.
-She called this morning frantic that her oil light came on. Instructed her to pull over immediately and check it, but she proceeded about a mile or two down the road back to the jiffy lube since it happened to be so close.
-JL informed her it was actually empty and that it took all 8 quarts to fill it up- she has pics of this happening and they admitted it was 8qts "low".
-They sent her on her way with hardly even an apology, and refused to document the incident on paper or in their system- although she took some pics of it happening.
-They claim it was a loose oil filter... but after I crawled all under the car this afternoon, there is not evidence of any sort of an oil leak, especially 8 qts worth. Its immaculate underneath. In addition, there has not been a drop of oil on the concrete driveway.
-I don't believe the car could go 600 miles with no oil in it, but... I have no other explanation as it was certainly not a normal leak. Again the truck is spotless underneath... So I am presuming it was never filled up (but 600 miles empty?)

So now what??
-IF the car could go that long with no oil, how much long term damage is there?
-I don't understand why the oil light just now came on? again, zero signs of a leak, but was certainly empty when got there. If it was a catastrophic oil dump that triggered the light, why no signs of leak? bad sensor? maybe guys lying and drain plug fell out- even so, I would think there would be some splatter underneath?
-Is there any recourse with JL for the damage done, even though its not manifested yet?
- I am considering a dealer trip to see if they can document anything with a computer scan. Although, I doubt they would be willing to state anything about damages.

Again, I know this sounds off, but I've checked and double checked for leaks and they dumped 8 qts in it today, and its topped off just right when I checked it after.

thanks yall. And I know... stay away from the fast lube places...
It seems as if maybe they completely changed the oil to cover their tracks. It would register low before being empty. And it would seem that the engine would contain a certain amount of oil even when it alarms for low oil/low oil pressure. I would be all over the corporate number for JL. Sorry for the luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts