Carrying extra fuel in an SUV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChemEng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^X2^^

I got this thing to carry gas for my mower.. bigger than necessary but figured it'd be nice if I ever move, go camping, or pickup a 14bolt axle from the wreckers. Anything dirty that I don't want inside the cab. There are smaller ones available as well. Most similar ones I see have 500lb capacity, and the harbor freight one is cheaper and 750lb capacity. Does not feel too big and not terribly heavy when mounting/unmounting.

I like this, but does anyone know if the quad exhaust of the 6.2 on the 21-23's would heat up the contents potentially melting/igniting the cans? My cans are plastic.....

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like this, but does anyone know if the quad exhaust of the 6.2 on the 21-23's would heat up the contents potentially melting/igniting the cans? My cans are plastic.....
the carrier sits at hitch level, and is a few inches back (enough that you can squeeze between it and your bumper) I dont know how your tailpipes are pointing, but fairly sure it should not be a problem..

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also wanted to mention the milk crates in this discussion. I use them for toting propane tanks to and fro. They fit perfect, thus keeping them from rolling about, and creating less hassle, and less waste.

I just bought two "dairy" crates from Tractor Supply yesterday for that very purpose.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this can for our RV generator and it seals perfectly such that no fumes escape, even in direct sunlight on a hot day. I can carry it in the back of the Yukon and never get a whiff of gas.

I have the same can, except the nozzle is different. I always smelled gas. Guess the nozzle is the issue.
But every gas can I have ever had smelled. (~3 different cans)

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same can, except the nozzle is different. I always smelled gas. Guess the nozzle is the issue.
But every gas can I have ever had smelled. (~3 different cans)
I have tried different canisters. plastic, tourist, for off-road. but the best way to isolate the smell in the cabin is a metal canister, with a metal lid that can be tightened very tightly

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01