Carrying extra fuel in an SUV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JKaechler

Reaction score
I have this oddball, and only occasional issue. A number of times over the past few years I have been called upon to head out into the countryside to rescue somebody who has run out of fuel, or gotten stuck, or some other vehicular catastrophe. And while its easy to carry a tow cable, jumpers, and tools... the one thing I have not solved satisfactorily is carrying extra fuel. I had this issue in my Suburban, and now I am switching to a 2011 Tahoe I am revisiting the idea to see if there is a better way.

My sorta solution in the past was that i fill up a gas can as i head out, and then simply put up with the smell until the mission is complete. But some of those stinky drives were an hour or more out into the country. Getting a better fuel can with a good seal helped out some, and i still have that good can. (its a small rotopax can)

I would love to find a way to carry the fuel can external, but while the old suburban had barn doors and I considered mounting the rotopax thingy on the back of one door.. the new Tahoe has a liftgate. and a powered liftgate at that. I dont know if the liftgate would be able to carry any weight at all in addition to itself. That may also look super ghetto.

I was lying on the driveway looking at the space beneath the tail, some of which is taken by the spare tire... wondering if I could build something for that space.

Has anyone else found a good solution to this problem?

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have this oddball, and only occasional issue. A number of times over the past few years I have been called upon to head out into the countryside to rescue somebody who has run out of fuel, or gotten stuck, or some other vehicular catastrophe. And while its easy to carry a tow cable, jumpers, and tools... the one thing I have not solved satisfactorily is carrying extra fuel. I had this issue in my Suburban, and now I am switching to a 2011 Tahoe I am revisiting the idea to see if there is a better way.

My sorta solution in the past was that i fill up a gas can as i head out, and then simply put up with the smell until the mission is complete. But some of those stinky drives were an hour or more out into the country. Getting a better fuel can with a good seal helped out some, and i still have that good can. (its a small rotopax can)

I would love to find a way to carry the fuel can external, but while the old suburban had barn doors and I considered mounting the rotopax thingy on the back of one door.. the new Tahoe has a liftgate. and a powered liftgate at that. I dont know if the liftgate would be able to carry any weight at all in addition to itself. That may also look super ghetto.

I was lying on the driveway looking at the space beneath the tail, some of which is taken by the spare tire... wondering if I could build something for that space.

Has anyone else found a good solution to this problem?
I saw a recording where a person welded an additional 150 liter tank instead of a spare tire. He made a tank individually for the standard neck of the tank

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wavian Jerry Cans do not leak when tipped over. Fill them up without spilling fuel on the outside and they won't stink up the cab. Carry the long spout and when done, put it into a zip lock bag so it won't stink up the cab. The government spouts are discarded and we use these, they empty a 5 gallon can in moments, not minutes.

1684524813764.png

They sell 5 gallon, 2.5 gallon and 1.25 gallon cans. You can drive over them, set them on fire (btdt) and they won't fail. Don't leak either.

1684524971775.png1684525003575.png

Been using these 2 sizes for years. The girls prefer the smaller cans of course, much easier to handle.

I just picked up another 5 gallon can and spout the other day off Ebay for $97. During hurricane season, the supply runs dry.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Simplest solution would be to just grab a large enough container/crate/storage box with a sealed lid, put the can in there, close the top and carry on.
you can get all fancy and stuff or have something fabricated but in terms of simple.......

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would run a cheap hitch rack and put the gas and everything else you need for the job on the rack.
^^X2^^

I got this thing to carry gas for my mower.. bigger than necessary but figured it'd be nice if I ever move, go camping, or pickup a 14bolt axle from the wreckers. Anything dirty that I don't want inside the cab. There are smaller ones available as well. Most similar ones I see have 500lb capacity, and the harbor freight one is cheaper and 750lb capacity. Does not feel too big and not terribly heavy when mounting/unmounting.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much fuel do you need to get give them? and do you ever run low?

if you got the spare fuel in your tank. I'd just get a fuel line kit and hook it to the gauge test port on the rail. fire up the truck and let it run while you siphon off a gal or so.

I just drained a 55gal tank in a Ford f450 bus thing to clean the tank and replace the pump by doing that.

just a thought. there's also new track tanks with electric pumps built into them now. much nicer than any gas can I've used.

Check this out! https://a.co/d/8m4FVPu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charkmapman