Carjack Attempt??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Angel87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had a weird incident that happened to us yesterday. We noticed that someone parked a random white Toyota car between my house and my neighbor around 7pm on Monday. Around 1am on Tuesday, we noticed two guys walking by that car and were walking in front of our house and then around 6am, one of the guys came up to the side of my house and was looking around and from the looks of it, he took a picture of either himself or whatever was around him. About an hour later he walked in front of our house again. Around 1pm on he finally got in that white car and left and didn’t return. I showed a different neighbor and he stated that it seems like he was staking out the place because he was aiming for my truck (‘21 Tahoe RST) and wanted to see if we had any cameras, dogs, etc. He mentioned that car thieves are aiming towards GM SUVs and Dodge Durangos, specifically those with keyless entry and he thinks the guy was carrying some sort of device that was trying to get signal from my key fob to start the truck. I couldn’t believe him as there is nothing special about my Tahoe (Stock and only changes have been muffler delete, changed out the fender amber lights to smoked out LEDs) and the community where we live is brand new and there other nicer looking cars. Has anyone had a similar experience or think my neighbor is telling the truth?? Ive been on the edge since yesterday morning.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I had a weird incident that happened to us yesterday. We noticed that someone parked a random white Toyota car between my house and my neighbor around 7pm on Monday. Around 1am on Tuesday, we noticed two guys walking by that car and were walking in front of our house and then around 6am, one of the guys came up to the side of my house and was looking around and from the looks of it, he took a picture of either himself or whatever was around him. About an hour later he walked in front of our house again. Around 1pm on he finally got in that white car and left and didn’t return. I showed a different neighbor and he stated that it seems like he was staking out the place because he was aiming for my truck (‘21 Tahoe RST) and wanted to see if we had any cameras, dogs, etc. He mentioned that car thieves are aiming towards GM SUVs and Dodge Durangos, specifically those with keyless entry and he thinks the guy was carrying some sort of device that was trying to get signal from my key fob to start the truck. I couldn’t believe him as there is nothing special about my Tahoe (Stock and only changes have been muffler delete, changed out the fender amber lights to smoked out LEDs) and the community where we live is brand new and there other nicer looking cars. Has anyone had a similar experience or think my neighbor is telling the truth?? Ive been on the edge since yesterday morning.
I would keep your fobs in farady a device for the time being just to be on the safe side. whenever you are home, both/all fobs not just one make it clear to anyone else to do the same.
and perhaps look at other available 3rd party security solutions at a audio shop they sell and professionally install all different kinds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Angel87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would keep your fobs in farady device for the time being just to be on the safe side. whenever you are home, both/all fobs not just one make it clear to anyone else to do the same.
and perhaps look at other available 3rd party security solutions at a audio shop they sell and professionally install all different kinds.
Thank you for the feedback. Will definitely look at those options.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As Doubelieve was refering to, thieves try to sniff your signal from inside the house, then amplify it to a receiver by the car and get in and go. All tahoes have loads of expensive parts to sell which makes them a valuable theft. I would report it to the police...

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case you don't know what a Faraday Box is:
A fully metal box will not allow radio waves out, or in...
Even wrapping the fob in Tin Foil will do the trick...
All sides of the box need to be electrically connected...
Google for more info...

This theft technique is particularly effective in cases where people park their vehicle in a driveway that is right next to the house, say maybe the home's kitchen, and then they leave the keys on the kitchen table. Anything you can do to keep the fob as far away distance wise from the vehicle as possible is good to do.

PPK_

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well.. pictures help.. but given the details it is possible to intercept and copy the FOB signal - like up to 300 feet. The FOB communicates with the truck every minute or so. It takes a few days to create a new FOB and come back and take it. That FOB is 433 mhz so the signal is going to propagate well... a brick wall might weaken it.. but other materials it will sail through.

i'd put a steering wheel lock on it tonight. cause if this is to be.. it will happen 0400 or so when they will not have to deal with public at large.

my nieghbor got his GMC sierra swiped.. it was honda civic pacing his yard.. and i just did not put two and two together. two out of work thirty year olds - lean.. and wirey. he recorded it on his camera to no avail...

Last edited:

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be more concerned with that person casing your house vs your vehicle. Just make sure your car insurance is in order.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well.. pictures help.. but given the details it is possible to intercept and copy the FOB signal - like up to 300 feet. The FOB communicates with the truck every minute or so. It takes a few days to create a new FOB and come back and take it. That FOB is 433 mhz so the signal is going to propagate well... a brick wall might weaken it.. but other materials it will sail through.

i'd put a steering wheel lock on it tonight. cause if this is to be.. it will happen 0400 or so when they will not have to deal with public at large.

my nieghbor got his GMC sierra swiped.. it was honda civic pacing his yard.. and i just did not put two and two together. two out of work thirty year olds - lean.. and wirey. he recorded it on his camera to no avail...
if this is the case the op could just pull the starter relay at night and put it back in the morning, easily figured out yes but a thief want's to just jump in and go not screw around and try to figure out why it wont start, they may just figure they did something wrong and move on.
certainly other crafty means to accomplish the same results without a big hassle everytime you want to drive your vehicle

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Doesn't seem like a carjack attempt at all. Seems like they're casing a theft, as the others have said. It's not that there are nicer cars elsewhere. It's that yours is easy to steal using the methods mentioned and has plenty of value. Don't keep any valuables, firearms, important/sensitive information, work materials, etc. in it and have a disabling device installed. Install camera(s) on your house. For fun, when you park, leave a note on the steering wheel addressed to a car thief that you've been watching them and that your car is disabled. Knowing that you and who-knows-who-else in your neighborhood is onto them should be quite a deterrent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork