Cant remove hoses from EVAP charcoal canister

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You live in the ideal climate for anything car-related not aging like shIIIIIt.
no rust but the heat kills other stuff makes plastic brittle and rubber deteriorate eventually unless you are fortunet enough to have a garage to park in
overall they last a lot longer here though.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no rust but the heat kills other stuff makes plastic brittle and rubber deteriorate eventually unless you are fortunet enough to have a garage to park in
overall they last a lot longer here though.

Yeah, when I lived in Oakland I saw so many older cars, just regular cars.... nothing fancy, but they had zero rust on them. If they were in NH, they would have been Thanos-snapped back into minerals 100 years ago.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, when I lived in Oakland I saw so many older cars, just regular cars.... nothing fancy, but they had zero rust on them. If they were in NH, they would have been Thanos-snapped back into minerals 100 years ago.
ya if you go to the junkyard here the worst the very oldest vehicles will have is maybe some light surface rust from exposure to air depending on if the paint or undercoating was still decent or not
anything greasey is pretty much like new underneath the grease
if you see something with rusty holes or eaten away then it didn't come from here.

Gearz

Reaction score
I was have a hard time filling my gas tank so I think the previous owner was over filling the tank at fill ups. My 2011 was tuff to do on my back. I use PB blaster which made it slippery. The o-rings tend to melt on the plastic but I worked them back and forth and they came off. I would NOT want to do this again on my back because you don't have the leverage.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im currently in the process of replacing the Evap canister for my 2007 tahoe and am currently stuck trying to get the hoses off. I can feel the button depressing in when i press it but when i then pull theres zero movement. Any tip or tricks to getting these things off would be appreciated.
When you do get them off can you tell me if there is an o-ring inside each of them? I ask because I vacuumed (not advisable) all the carbon pellets out of the hoses and get an evap error message. Everything in the Evaporator system was replaced except the hoses. I’m wondering if I may have sucked an o-ring out of the hose with the vacuum.

Gearz

Reaction score
Yes there are seals / o-rings inside each of the hoses. I used a mirror and made sure they were not damaged. It would be possible to accidentally vacuum them up by mistake.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes there are seals / o-rings inside each of the hoses. I used a mirror and made sure they were not damaged. It would be possible to accidentally vacuum them up by mistake.
I was afraid of that!

OP
OP
L

LegoSharks

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Back again after another attempt and I have to say thanks Fless for the diagram for the big hose as I have now gotten two of those blasted hoses off. However, even after trying what you suggested for the blue-clipped hose I still have yet to be able to get it to come off. We are now trying to use a pair of lock pliers to hold the piece down while we pull(check video) but it's not budging in the slightest. Have zero clue as to what we're doing wrong at this point so any suggestions are welcome.

Video link:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn