Can't find what rear springs to get

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xDan

Reaction score
I can't seem to find an answer to the correct rear springs to get...
2003 Tahoe 4WD LS with nivomat premium ride suspension but I'm converting to a standard shock and spring setup. I installed 4 monroe reflex shocks. I have seen the bilstein conversion springs but people are saying they have too light of a spring rate. Right now with the nivomat shocks removed, the rear end squat is massive and 100 lbs of cargo in the back makes the rear drop way too much. On bumpy roads the rear seems to be floating around all over the place. I am looking at carid.com and found two spring sets:
16" free length 1040lb load rating spring (45H2165) and
17.2" free length 1300lb load rating spring (45H2164).
Both have an installed height of 11.5". No idea which one of those, if either I should get.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I can't seem to find an answer to the correct rear springs to get...
2003 Tahoe 4WD LS with nivomat premium ride suspension but I'm converting to a standard shock and spring setup. I installed 4 monroe reflex shocks. I have seen the bilstein conversion springs but people are saying they have too light of a spring rate. Right now with the nivomat shocks removed, the rear end squat is massive and 100 lbs of cargo in the back makes the rear drop way too much. On bumpy roads the rear seems to be floating around all over the place. I am looking at carid.com and found two spring sets:
16" free length 1040lb load rating spring (45H2165) and
17.2" free length 1300lb load rating spring (45H2164).
Both have an installed height of 11.5". No idea which one of those, if either I should get.

I would look at the moog z71 springs I think.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you checked with NorCal SS on here? I don’t think there’s a suspension set up they don’t have.

OP
OP
xDan

xDan

Reaction score
I would look at the moog z71 springs I think.
Yea z71 should be a good option. The problem with that is, on the SUV's, a z71 can also have the zw7 option according to some.

Have you checked with NorCal SS on here? I don’t think there’s a suspension set up they don’t have.
Sounds expensive. I'll see what they have though.

What would be great is if all springs sold required spring rates listed at full compression and full installed extension.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Yea z71 should be a good option. The problem with that is, on the SUV's, a z71 can also have the zw7 option according to some.

The part I listed is not for zw7. They will also provide between 0.5-1.5" of lift over your stock ride height when paired with a Bilstein 5100. Should help with your towing.

OP
OP
xDan

xDan

Reaction score
Perfect... Because I already removed the ZW7 nivomat shocks. Up here I couldn't get those Moog springs for a good price, I did find ac delco 45H2164. Your suggestion helped me decide to get the heavier spring rate, used in 2wd HD suspension and the Z71 4WD.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect... Because I already removed the ZW7 nivomat shocks. Up here I couldn't get those Moog springs for a good price, I did find ac delco 45H2164. Your suggestion helped me decide to get the heavier spring rate, used in 2wd HD suspension and the Z71 4WD.

For Nivomat shocks with ZW7, does that include the Auto Level RPO code too?

Just curious as I have ZW7 and regular shocks.

OP
OP
xDan

xDan

Reaction score
Just nivomats in the back. Fronts are regular. No electronic shocks.
Rear spring code is YD6. I don't see any other suspension codes.. Not sure what 6XK &7XK are.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just nivomats in the back. Fronts are regular. No electronic shocks.
Rear spring code is YD6. I don't see any other suspension codes.. Not sure what 6XK &7XK are.

I have YD6 too. 6XK and 7XK are the specific spring codes, left and right. Mine happen to be 6RS and 7RS. No Nivomats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic