Cannot find out what's the issue!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought a new daily driver so I rarely drive my 2017 Escalade ESV anymore. The last time I jumped in it, it had a check engine light within a mile of turning on the motor. So I immediately turn around park it and get into my other car. 2 weeks passed by before the shop could get to it, and finally when they did, it was a bad fuel injector in cyc 6 along with code for misfire in the same cylinder. Now I finally get the car back and jump in, drive it a few miles and realized it's now clicking when I turn right. I went up a curved on-ramp onto the high way and it's a clicking noise that's consistent only when turning right. Turning left has zero noise. I immediately take it back to the shop, doesn't click at low speed, didn't click which turning back and forth on the lift or on the ground, and tie rods and all suspension seems tight. He's thinking it's possibly a suspension issue but I don't see how that could cause a clicking noise. But there is a little grease on the flat part of the front passenger strut. Any idea?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought a new daily driver so I rarely drive my 2017 Escalade ESV anymore. The last time I jumped in it, it had a check engine light within a mile of turning on the motor. So I immediately turn around park it and get into my other car. 2 weeks passed by before the shop could get to it, and finally when they did, it was a bad fuel injector in cyc 6 along with code for misfire in the same cylinder. Now I finally get the car back and jump in, drive it a few miles and realized it's now clicking when I turn right. I went up a curved on-ramp onto the high way and it's a clicking noise that's consistent only when turning right. Turning left has zero noise. I immediately take it back to the shop, doesn't click at low speed, didn't click which turning back and forth on the lift or on the ground, and tie rods and all suspension seems tight. He's thinking it's possibly a suspension issue but I don't see how that could cause a clicking noise. But there is a little grease on the flat part of the front passenger strut. Any idea?
One of the CV boots probably cracked and slung grease everywhere. It's been broken long enough to cause it to make that clicking sound when under pressure/tension. Time for a new one. Check your hubs too.

OP
OP
N

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the CV boots probably cracked and slung grease everywhere. It's been broken long enough to cause it to make that clicking sound when under pressure/tension. Time for a new one. Check your hubs too.
how do you diagnose the hubs? The ball joints, tie rods and all boots were intact without any grease anywhere besides a little grease on the flat plate at the bottom of the strut. When the car was on the ground it moved left/right fine without noise and when in the air there wasn't any play side to side or top to bottom. Also my car is RWD, so I don't think they have CV shafts in the front.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you diagnose the hubs? The ball joints, tie rods and all boots were intact without any grease anywhere besides a little grease on the flat plate at the bottom of the strut. When the car was on the ground it moved left/right fine without noise and when in the air there wasn't any play side to side or top to bottom. Also my car is RWD, so I don't think they have CV shafts in the front.
You're right about that! When you mentioned grease, I assumed incorrectly that it came from a CV Axle.

We listen to the hubs while making wide turns and also with the wheel off the ground folks will give the tire a shake at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions and 12 and 6 o'clock positions but movement here could mean any number of things. The proper way, other than hearing it moan while turning, is to take the wheel and rotor off and measure runout with a dial indicator. Can't be more than .005 inches as you spin it around.

OP
OP
N

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right about that! When you mentioned grease, I assumed incorrectly that it came from a CV Axle.

We listen to the hubs while making wide turns and also with the wheel off the ground folks will give the tire a shake at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions and 12 and 6 o'clock positions but movement here could mean any number of things. The proper way, other than hearing it moan while turning, is to take the wheel and rotor off and measure runout with a dial indicator. Can't be more than .005 inches as you spin it around.
thanks, Maybe it's the hubs. Only when turning right, so would it be the right one or left one? Also is it safe to drive on it? I have a 300 mile trip planned this weekend.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, Maybe it's the hubs. Only when turning right, so would it be the right one or left one? Also is it safe to drive on it? I have a 300 mile trip planned this weekend.
Usually it would be the left hub when turning right. If the noise is only when turning and not constant, you ought to be good for the trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts