Can you safely put jackstands under the rear sway bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is why I always use the term "computer", rather than ECM or PCM... Because, whichever one I think is the right term to use at the time I am posting I'll probably pick the wrong term. So you might notice I completely ignore using those terms and just stick with "computer"... Fewer complications for everyone, when I dumb it down for my own good! LOL

Please note: I am in no way suggesting anything about the mix-up on use of bell housing by the OP! Simple mix-up in typing. I was just poking fun at my own inability to correctly recall whether or Tahoes use an ECM or PCM, so I completely avoid the issue...
ECM in its true first use was used in 1981 up to when GM needed a computer to control the transmission (4L60E) too. A PCM controls both the tranny and engine. For some odd reason in 2007 GM decided to split them up again and 07 GM truck chassis have a ECM (engine) and TCM(transmission).

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ECM in its true first use was used in 1981 up to when GM needed a computer to control the transmission (4L60E) too. A PCM controls both the tranny and engine. For some odd reason in 2007 GM decided to split them up again and 07 GM truck chassis have a ECM (engine) and TCM(transmission).
Thanks for the clear breakdown on what is what for which models!

Hah!
It seems that I will never be able to keep it straight every time I want to mention it, because of some disconnect between my brain and my typing fingers.

Knowing when to surrender is the sign of a smart warrior. Since I have lost that battle, so I'll stick with calling it a "computer". At least, technically, I won't be wrong! LOL

OP
OP
J

JamesLond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see the spot now.

without stand.jpg

On the driver side you have to put it between the opening in the parking brake cables. From first glance I thought the cables blocked everything.

With stand.jpg

On the passenger side it's nicer since there's no cables you have to move.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is why I always use the term "computer", rather than ECM or PCM... Because, whichever one I think is the right term to use at the time I am posting I'll probably pick the wrong term. So you might notice I completely ignore using those terms and just stick with "computer"... Fewer complications for everyone, when I dumb it down for my own good! LOL

Please note: I am in no way suggesting anything about the mix-up on use of bell housing by the OP! Simple mix-up in typing. I was just poking fun at my own inability to correctly recall whether or Tahoes use an ECM or PCM, so I completely avoid the issue...
i hear ya. so heres how to figure that out, pcm is a power control module. it does the trans and engine. ecm, engine control module. does just the engine, then you also will have a tcm, trans control module. main issue with this info is knowing what cars/trucks use the pcm, or ecm. our years trucks have a pcm. if you can see the pcm or ecm its a dead give away. pcm's have two long plugs, and the module is large, ecm's are small and have two square plugs.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hear ya. so heres how to figure that out, pcm is a power control module. it does the trans and engine. ecm, engine control module. does just the engine, then you also will have a tcm, trans control module. main issue with this info is knowing what cars/trucks use the pcm, or ecm. our years trucks have a pcm. if you can see the pcm or ecm its a dead give away. pcm's have two long plugs, and the module is large, ecm's are small and have two square plugs.
PCM= Powertrain Control Module

GM has been pulling a Ford/Dodge lately with how many different odd things they are doing with electronics. Hopefully we never end up with the wiring problems of Dodge!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clear breakdown on what is what for which models!

Hah!
It seems that I will never be able to keep it straight every time I want to mention it, because of some disconnect between my brain and my typing fingers.

Knowing when to surrender is the sign of a smart warrior. Since I have lost that battle, so I'll stick with calling it a "computer". At least, technically, I won't be wrong! LOL
Just don’t jack up the computer and you’ll be fine. ;)