Can you safely put jackstands under the rear sway bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesLond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lifted it in the middle under the bell housing. I can't figure out where to place them in the back.

If that's not the spot, please let me know the right one.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not a great picture, but you can use the differential to pick it up with the jack, and the jackstands can go on the axle tubes just inside of the shock mounts:

2021-08-14_Tahoe ready to drop tank_resized.jpg

Those are 6-ton jackstands and that's the position I used to remove the fuel tank. Twice. :( Actually it was good experience.
EDIT: here's a better pic. See the red arrow for a good stable location for the jackstand.

Nivomat shock1.JPG

Last edited:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the back lift points been dealt with, now back to the front, you can use the rad support, or the K frame under the engine. or under the ball joint of the lower control arm to do one side at a time.

you made it sound like you jacked up the from under the trannys bell housing, and thats not how to do it.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
well the back lift points been dealt with, now back to the front, you can use the rad support, or the K frame under the engine. or under the ball joint of the lower control arm to do one side at a time.

you made it sound like you jacked up the from under the trannys bell housing, and thats not how to do it.

I think he was just calling the rear diff (pumpkin) a bell housing, if I read the title correctly he's working on the rear end.

OP
OP
J

JamesLond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he was just calling the rear diff (pumpkin) a bell housing, if I read the title correctly he's working on the rear end.
Yup, that's it. I don't know why bell housing popped up in my mind.

Also, I'll look closer at the spots you pointed out for my other side. I ended up putting a stand on the side frame rail a little ahead of that rear end control arm.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, that's it. I don't know why bell housing popped up in my mind.

Also, I'll look closer at the spots you pointed out for my other side. I ended up putting a stand on the side frame rail a little ahead of that rear end control arm.
frame is always a solid jack stand point.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rodger that. just never know when the terminology is off this far lol
That is why I always use the term "computer", rather than ECM or PCM... Because, whichever one I think is the right term to use at the time I am posting I'll probably pick the wrong term. So you might notice I completely ignore using those terms and just stick with "computer"... Fewer complications for everyone, when I dumb it down for my own good! LOL

Please note: I am in no way suggesting anything about the mix-up on use of bell housing by the OP! Simple mix-up in typing. I was just poking fun at my own inability to correctly recall whether or Tahoes use an ECM or PCM, so I completely avoid the issue...