Can Someone Please Help Me With Headlights!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThreeD

Reaction score
I have a 2 Door 1999 Tahoe. I bought a set of Aftermarket Headlights and Parking Lights for it. They are DNA Motoring brand. The model number for them is HL-OH-8P-C10-3G-CH-AM. I also bought a set of Auxito 9005 & 9006 LED bulbs. To say they suck is an understatement. The lighting, especially on bright, is absolutely HORRIBLE! The low beams were bright and looked good, but only shined about a few feet out. The high beams looked like you were shining them through tree branches, or like the headlights had a net over them. It looked horrible. Standing in front of them, they looked normal. However, they were anything but.

Anyway, I read online (on here, I believe) that high beam LEDs in aftermarket headlights rendered the high beam actually useless. So, I went ahead and put a set of regular, non-LED 9005 & 9006 bulbs in the headlight housings. The only thing that changed was now the low beams were not as bright. It was still only shining a few feet in front and the high beams still looked as though they had a net over them. The Aftermarket Headlights have the mirror-type housing. Could this be the problem? I have attached pictures of the headlights and bulbs that I purchased. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Headlights.png
    Headlights.png
    377.6 KB · Views: 7
  • LED Bulbs.png
    LED Bulbs.png
    438.5 KB · Views: 8

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the same Led bulbs in my low beam on my 2006 Denali. They are little brighter but not a night and day difference other than color. The light pattern is the same as the standard bulb. It sounds like the refector in the replacement light are less than OEM quality. Are there any reviews for those lights on the inter Web? I would try another brand.

OP
OP
T

ThreeD

Reaction score
I put the same Led bulbs in my low beam on my 2006 Denali. They are little brighter but not a night and day difference other than color. The light pattern is the same as the standard bulb. It sounds like the refector in the replacement light are less than OEM quality. Are there any reviews for those lights on the inter Web? I would try another brand.
Yea, I checked reviews for both headlight assemblies and bulbs. They got good reviews. I think it has to do with the mirror housing. I need to go with an OEM set, or a set that does not have the mirror housing. Any suggestions? Or, do you think it could have something to do with their positions? Maybe they need adjusting? Thank you sir.

Last edited:

Jimmyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need the mirror refector and they all have it. I think the issue is how they are made. By that, the angle of the refector isn't concentrating the beam forward but instead is bouncing it all around. Hopefully some here with a 99 will chime in. My 2006 has projectors for the low beam, and they are poor at best. The LED's did help some.

OP
OP
T

ThreeD

Reaction score
You need the mirror refector and they all have it. I think the issue is how they are made. By that, the angle of the refector isn't concentrating the beam forward but instead is bouncing it all around. Hopefully some here with a 99 will chime in. My 2006 has projectors for the low beam, and they are poor at best. The LED's did help some.
I wander if an OEM style would work better? My wife’s dad has aftermarket headlights and bulbs in his 1996 C1500 and he said they are very bright. I looked at them yesterday, and he has regular bulbs for the high beams and LED bulbs for the low beams. However, the LED bulbs have some sort of silver caps that cover the tips and there is a small cable-like piece that connects to the bottom of the housing. I am not sure what kind they are.

OP
OP
T

ThreeD

Reaction score
Did you adjust them after installing?

They don’t come from the manufacturer adjusted.
No, they have not been adjusted. Could that be the reason the light pattern looks like it is shining through a tree or net?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if they are facing really far in the wrong direction yes it possible but i would think you have the headlight buckets reversed or upside-down to be that far off. or maybe the bulb isnt seated correctly. as the buckets and everything are slightly angled for these trucks if i recall that shouldn't be possible tho. actually did find a couple revews making that claim tho for the exact ones you bought. they appear to be anzo knock offs so if you can figure out what wrong with the housing or get a set thats actually working correctly they should work out well for you. its either that or return them for your money and get a better quality brand. these are definitely a pay for what you get item and as very few places even sell them and those aren't even that notable for quality items. so id have to say you seem to have probably got a set that made it past whatever quality control they might have.

OP
OP
T

ThreeD

Reaction score
if they are facing really far in the wrong direction yes it possible but i would think you have the headlight buckets reversed or upside-down to be that far off. or maybe the bulb isnt seated correctly. as the buckets and everything are slightly angled for these trucks if i recall that shouldn't be possible tho. actually did find a couple revews making that claim tho for the exact ones you bought. they appear to be anzo knock offs so if you can figure out what wrong with the housing or get a set thats actually working correctly they should work out well for you. its either that or return them for your money and get a better quality brand. these are definitely a pay for what you get item and as very few places even sell them and those aren't even that notable for quality items. so id have to say you seem to have probably got a set that made it past whatever quality control they might have.
Yea, it is weird. If you are standing in front of the Tahoe, they look bright and normal. Even though the low beams shine solid, they only shine just a few feet in front of you. But, the weird thing is how the high beams shine. They are scattered. It literally looks like you are shining the headlights through a net or curtains. It is not a solid beam like the low beams. It is very weird looking.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its going to look like that farther out on the light diffusion pattern i dont have any pics or videos anymore to show you but when adjusted properly on those style housing you would see that on the outer edges of the beam.
51638795_10216382951840159_5177904493500563456_n.jpg
this should be how they look installed if they dont look like this they are indeed backwards. these are the anzo housings and they are the darker setup than your chrome ones but those dna ones definitely look like knock off anzos. i dont have any light output images left to show you but they are amazing. but i could see what your describing on the outer edges of the beam. was always assuming it was due to the deflector steps. most of your reflectors aim the light forward but the stepping they use to get the proper angle leaves ridges which the light can also reflect off and it causes it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal