Camber issue with 06 Yukon with drop spindles and Viking coilovers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 Yukon is lowered with drop spindles, Viking DA coilovers, 5305 rear coils, DJM rear hardware kit, adjustable panhard bar, and helper bags. I have 275/40/20s front tires and 315/35/20s on widened declad 6 spoke GMC wheels. They are 28" tall and the coilovers are adjusted to about where one of these trucks sit dropped 4"-5" maybe a touch lower. I seem to have alot of negative camber on the front that eats up tires quickly. I've had 4 or 5 of these full size SUVs lowered with spindles, lower control arms, torsion keys etc. This is the first one where I've deleted the torsion bars for coilovers. I was curious if anyone else with similar setups had a similar issue with negative camber, and if so what was done to fix it. I'm happy with the ride height so I don't want to lower it more just fix my current camber issue so my tires last longer and the truck rides and possibly handles better. Which it does both now really well but considering I have 4-6° of negative camber, enough to clearly see with the naked eye I doubt it is optimized.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What have you done to adjust the front alignment? Mine is currently around 3.5" front drop. I aligned it with string and measuring and a digital angle finder and it's been fine for about 15-20K miles now. Tires are wearing evenly across the whole tread with no feathering, no pulling or twitchy steering, etc. I have the Belltech 4951 cams and I think I have enough adjustment left for a 4"-4.5" drop.

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped in the Belltech drop spindles 3 years ago and then put on the Viking coilovers and ditched the torsion bars. I'm not 100% what drop the front is but it's pretty much level or has a little front end rake from the rear 5" drop on 28" tall 275/40/20s on 20x8s on the front and 315/35/20s on 20x11s on the rear. The Belltech offset UCA bushings were suggested and they can help with +/-3° from what I have read. I'm not sure what the specs are now but I am going to get 4 new tires mounted when I order the bushings to see where it puts me and then see about going from there. I don't remember what the alignment specs were when it was aligned but we will dial in the ride height to have a half to three quarters rake front to back and get the alignment and etc in spec to hopefully stop eating up tires. The coilovers do ride and handle alot better compared to the torsion bars a dropped a fair amount of weight off the front end between that and the 2 piece Brembo BBK. I just got the truck back from having the 5.3 pulled and a stock 40k mile 06 LQ9 installed. I have some 243 heads I need to get ported, along with the Fast LSXRT 102 intake I have, with a Stage 2 or 3 BTR truck cam, 4" intake, long tube headers, ORY, a small stall and 4.11 gears. Everything I already have except for the converter and cam because I wasn't sure how far I wanted to take it after the LQ9 went it. Right now I'm just enjoying the extra 70-80hp from the LQ9 over the 250k mile 5.3 that was in there.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swapped in the Belltech drop spindles 3 years ago and then put on the Viking coilovers and ditched the torsion bars. I'm not 100% what drop the front is but it's pretty much level or has a little front end rake from the rear 5" drop on 28" tall 275/40/20s on 20x8s on the front and 315/35/20s on 20x11s on the rear. The Belltech offset UCA bushings were suggested and they can help with +/-3° from what I have read. I'm not sure what the specs are now but I am going to get 4 new tires mounted when I order the bushings to see where it puts me and then see about going from there. I don't remember what the alignment specs were when it was aligned but we will dial in the ride height to have a half to three quarters rake front to back and get the alignment and etc in spec to hopefully stop eating up tires. The coilovers do ride and handle alot better compared to the torsion bars a dropped a fair amount of weight off the front end between that and the 2 piece Brembo BBK. I just got the truck back from having the 5.3 pulled and a stock 40k mile 06 LQ9 installed. I have some 243 heads I need to get ported, along with the Fast LSXRT 102 intake I have, with a Stage 2 or 3 BTR truck cam, 4" intake, long tube headers, ORY, a small stall and 4.11 gears. Everything I already have except for the converter and cam because I wasn't sure how far I wanted to take it after the LQ9 went it. Right now I'm just enjoying the extra 70-80hp from the LQ9 over the 250k mile 5.3 that was in there.

Great upgrade with that LQ9! With the 243s and LSXRT, you'll basically have a hopped-up iron LS2 but tuned for a truck. Be sure your head porter isn't just hogging them out. Air volume doesn't mean everything if it doesn't flow efficiently. The high compression will make it feel so much lighter. Stay sensible with your cam (sounds like you are) and get an appropriate converter and you won't feel any loss of low-end. I'm looking forward to this build!

Anyway, this thread is about suspension. lol

T-bars, coilovers, air bags... none of these matter in this sense. The control arms dictate where everything is located and how it cycles up and down. You just need to focus on the amount of drop to determine what needs to be done to align it. You can dismiss the 2" drop from the spindles since those don't [appreciably] affect camber. So, for example, if you're 5" lower, then the coilovers are set to give you a 3" drop. You should be seeing what is needed to align a 3" drop. In my example, mine aligned fine with a 3.5" drop just with them cams and still has room to correct for even more drop.

I'd be cautious with the offset bushings. They're a more "permanent" means of adjustment. If they're too much, then you have to try to adjust it back some with the cams or, worse, swap stock bushings (or arms) back in. A member had to do just this a year or two ago. Basically over-corrected for his drop and went all roundy-round trying to get it aligned. He ended up going back to stock bushings.

I really think that, for a 3" drop, you'd be fine with the cams. They're less than $30 and a bolt-on thing. If it turns out that they won't provide enough adjustment, THEN you'll have to move on to more drastic measures. The cams can stay and your alignment guy would liely appreciate them, anyway.

First thing is to settle on just how you want it to sit and get the coilovers set at that height.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am at 3-3.5" drop in the front with a perfect alignment after I did the camber bushings and hogged out the slot a little. Before It was really bad and the driveability was down right scary!

Got a link to the 6.0 build page so I can not clog this thread? I have 243s I'm debating on putting on my lq4.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am at 3-3.5" drop in the front with a perfect alignment after I did the camber bushings and hogged out the slot a little. Before It was really bad and the driveability was down right scary!

Got a link to the 6.0 build page so I can not clog this thread? I have 243s I'm debating on putting on my lq4.

I don't remember- did you have the cams at first and they weren't enough? "Hogging out the slot" basically serves the same purpose as the cams- to allow more adjustment. You lengthen the slot and the cams allow the extra length to be used.

Also, that 3"-3.5" drop might be the threshold for where the camber really starts to happen. And maybe the GMT800 doesn't allow as much drop as the GMT900 before more extensive correction is needed. My neighbor lowered his '09 more than my '08 (also with spindles and struts) and it aligned with just the cams.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember- did you have the cams at first and they weren't enough? "Hogging out the slot" basically serves the same purpose as the cams- to allow more adjustment. You lengthen the slot and the cams allow the extra length to be used.

Also, that 3"-3.5" drop might be the threshold for where the camber really starts to happen. And maybe the GMT800 doesn't allow as much drop as the GMT900 before more extensive correction is needed. My neighbor lowered his '09 more than my '08 (also with spindles and struts) and it aligned with just the cams.

I hogged out and added the bushing at the same time, I have enough room to go another inch or so lower according to my alignment guy.

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No sorry I didn't make a thread on swapping the engine or anything. I got the Belltech alignment kit in on Monday and my new tires on Wednesday. I went from 275/40 and 315/35 to 275/55 and 325/50 to mount on my declad 20" GMC wheels that have been widened to 11" in the rear.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No sorry I didn't make a thread on swapping the engine or anything. I got the Belltech alignment kit in on Monday and my new tires on Wednesday. I went from 275/40 and 315/35 to 275/55 and 325/50 to mount on my declad 20" GMC wheels that have been widened to 11" in the rear.

Did you ever get anywhere with the camber issue? I forgot to mention the flipped upper arms and balljoints method. This adds positive camber but also greatly improves the ball joint angle.

OP
OP
skyhighsami

skyhighsami

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the offset bushings from Belltech. What needs to be done to flip the upper control arms? I made this thread and then forgot about it because I don't get on forums as much as I used to. I have my wheels being fixed now, as soon as I get them back I'll throw the tires on the wheels and I was going to install those bushings, replace the front brake pads as soon as I figure out what pads the Brembo BBK I have uses, set the ride height and then get the truck aligned. Once I get all that done I will have the stereo installed and then move on to finishing up the performance upgrades I have for the LQ9.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BattleBorn