Cam will not come out because of lifter.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Higgins18ppv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone know if a machine shop would put a set of cam bearings in an assembled short block? Or any suggestions for that matter.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Better to remove yourself if you are capable.
Please explain to everyone here exactly what you are working on. And where.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confused about what you're looking for help with. If you're looking for help getting the cam out, then you can get the lifters to hold in place by inserting 5/16" wooden dowel rods that are 24" long into the holes on either side of the cam. You have to spin the cam as you insert the rods to make sure the lifters are pushed up to the hold position. I've done this and it works great.

And yes, a machine shop can usually replace cam bearings, but I'm curious why you think you need them without the cam out of the truck yet to inspect them.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a long block that was "running when pulled" except when I went to pull the cam it had a seized cam bearing and I couldn't get the cam out without destroying that bearing completely. Turns out the engine had gotten so hot it had warped main caps and the heads were cracked on every cylinder. So I would advise against trying to slap cam bearings in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879