C0161 code - Traction Control / Stabilitrac problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrfix71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On my '07 Tahoe 4wd, my dash lights up with the Stabilitrac/Traction Contol error and usually prevents cruise control function. When I had the computer scanned at a major parts store with live data stream selected, all that showed up was the C0161 error and erratic voltage spikes. Anyone with advice on best place to start? I haven't uncovered any similar issues on the forum, but may not be using the search function or key words correctly. The truck runs great otherwise.

Tyler

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When that happened to my 07 a bearing in the front end came apart.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tunedbytuna

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sometimes the wheel sensors get dirty, or just plain go bad. Try to clean the pickup, it may buy you some time.

Armstrong82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you have any other electrical problems? My 07 yukon was doing the same thing with the stabiltrac/ traction control but I had a bunch of electrical issues.

OP
OP
Mrfix71

Mrfix71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A week ago, my AC fan motor went out also. However, while I was testing everything, the motor came on and works fine. :hmmm2:
I did not notice the traction control error yesterday when I drove a short distance but sure will pay attention today as I drive to work.

Seems odd if they are connected, but wouldn't surprise me. I did have a few random electrical things not working when I bought the truck, but when I removed the fuse block and reinstalled after I sprayed some dielectric grease, the problems went away.

uDidWhat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but it was the newest one on this issue. I just solved this code on a 2007 Suburban. I understand there are several solutions to this code, just wanted to put my fix out there.

C0161 - ABS Brake switch Circuit Problems

I replaced the brake switch which didn't solve the problem. I found that the new and old brake switch has 2 switches built into one. One is for the brake lights/trailer controller, this switch is normally open, meaning current doesn't flow through it till you press the pedal. The other switch is normally closed and is used to tell various other components that the brake is engaged or not.

What I found is that, with age, the rod that connects the pedal to the brake booster becomes worn. Because of this the closed switch can be opened with the slightest touch. Even vibrations from driving. If that switch stays open for more than 60 seconds while the vehicle is moving, it sets the above code.

I just filed down the end of the rod that contacts the switch and filed the holes in the switch to a slight oval, very slight. This took care of the touchiness of the pedal. Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157