Buzzing Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tried to get video of what happens, but have not been able to catch the noise while trying to record.

In the meantime, I wanted to start getting your ideas on what might be happening.

2004 Tahoe Z71 with 200k miles

Sometimes, I get a random very loud buzzing noise inside the cabin that sounds like it is coming from the front of the console, where it meets the dash. It can come in a burst pattern of two or three buzzes.

While not an exact match, the noise reminds me a lot of this sound...

Catches me by surprise and makes me practically jump out of my seat whenever it happens!
Feels like its the end of a hockey game period.

It happens more frequently just after start-up, but can also happen at random times after having driven around town a bit.

I was thinking (and hoping) it is the lower HVAC temperature door actuator, which is easier to get to.

Strange thing is, the sound has happened even when the HVAC is off.

Any thoughts until I am able to capture video of this thing in action?

I have a Tech 2 and already played with recalibration of HVAC actuators. Plus, the battery had been disconnected a bunch of times for more than 30 minutes, while I had done other work over the past year.

This is not an emergency for me, but I am curious to see if I can try to figure it out without throwing a bunch of parts in.

I have a Z71 roof rack coming this month (my Z71 has no rack now), so I will be getting that before tinkering with this buzzing noise.

Thanks in advance!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have tried to get video of what happens, but have not been able to catch the noise while trying to record.

In the meantime, I wanted to start getting your ideas on what might be happening.

Sometimes, I get a random very loud buzzing noise inside the cabin that sounds like it is coming from the front of the console, where it meets the dash. It can come in a burst pattern of two or three buzzes.

Catches me by surprise and makes me practically jump out of my seat whenever it happens!

It happens more frequently just after start-up, but can also happen at random times after having driven around town a bit.

I was thinking (and hoping) it is the lower HVAC temperature door actuator, which is easier to get to.

I have a Tech 2 and already played with recalibration of HVAC actuators. Plus, the battery had been disconnected a bunch of times for more than 30 minutes, while I had done other work over the past year.

This is not an emergency for me, but I am curious to see if I can try to figure it out without throwing a bunch of parts in.

I have a Z71 roof rack coming this month (my Z71 has no rack now), so I will be getting that before tinkering with this buzzing noise.

Thanks in advance!

Are you married to this thing? If so, it might just be its way of telling you every time you're wrong. Stop having thoughts or speaking out loud, not that that would make you immune to being wrong about something.

OP
OP
MassHoe04

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you married to this thing? If so, it might just be its way of telling you every time you're wrong. Stop having thoughts or speaking out loud, not that that would make you immune to being wrong about something.
Interesting theory you suggest! Are you saying I should ignore it and pretend I don't hear anything, like I sometimes do anyway?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance!
if it has the digital ac controls and the sensor in the headliner above the drivers head that looks like a little mic, then that could what it is there is a fan inside the sensor that makes a buzzing noise when they go bad. A replacement is about $25 online and is easy to do from the upper drivers side of the headliner

OP
OP
MassHoe04

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it has the digital ac controls and the sensor in the headliner above the drivers head that looks like a little mic, then that could what it is there is a fan inside the sensor that makes a buzzing noise when they go bad. A replacement is about $25 online and is easy to do from the upper drivers side of the headliner
The aspirator in the headliner was occasionally making a noise, but seems to have since stopped doing that. I may have used the auto system enough to blow whatever dust might have been in there out.

This noise is definitely much louder and seems to be right behind the front end of the center console, between the console and the glove box. I'll try to get it on video, but it seems to know when I am recording and doesn't do anything until some other time I am not recording.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The aspirator in the headliner was occasionally making a noise, but seems to have since stopped doing that. I may have used the auto system enough to blow whatever dust might have been in there out.

This noise is definitely much louder and seems to be right behind the front end of the center console, between the console and the glove box. I'll try to get it on video, but it seems to know when I am recording and doesn't do anything until some other time I am not recording.
then it's probably a blend door actuator, usually they make a clicking noise though.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see a CD Changer in his video... my guess would be climate control stepper motors?

I'm not familiar enough with the GMT800 to know where the changer is located. I thought it was in the center console, down low. Maybe it's where that cubby is in the video?

I would assume an actuator for the climate control as it does sound like broken motorized plastic. But, he said it does it even with the HVAC off. I supposed if there was something erroneously sending a command (or power) to the actuator to turn a certain direction even if it's maxed out, it could be grinding at or past its limit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2