Buying Yukon SLT..a few more questions please..>

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

serpico1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gents,

Once again thanks for the help.

Can I fire off a few questions please.

1. I'm getting the 4wd version. I want to know if it can be set on 4 wd full time or is it only as needed. Meaning, you use the transfer case when it snows or rains? Is the 4wd system easy to use?

2. I am confused about 18 or 20 inch tires. I have read countless forums and its even split. I am not a flashy guy and more utility for me is better. Better mpg, less costs and smoother wide with the 18's but my question is does it look strange on such a giant vehicle? Any insights here please.

3. Lastly, I wanted to confirm it takes regular unleaded 87 octane gas? Owners manual says minimum 87 octane. Would that mean 100% that it can run "fine" on 87 octane with no pings or knocks?

Thanks again gents,
Eric

hightech

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gents,

1. I'm getting the 4wd version. I want to know if it can be set on 4 wd full time or is it only as needed. Meaning, you use the transfer case when it snows or rains? Is the 4wd system easy to use?

2. I am confused about 18 or 20 inch tires. I have read countless forums and its even split. I am not a flashy guy and more utility for me is better. Better mpg, less costs and smoother wide with the 18's but my question is does it look strange on such a giant vehicle? Any insights here please.

3. Lastly, I wanted to confirm it takes regular unleaded 87 octane gas? Owners manual says minimum 87 octane. Would that mean 100% that it can run "fine" on 87 octane with no pings or knocks?

Thanks again gents,
Eric

1.No, get the denali if you want full time AWD, the SLT is 4wd which you do NOT want to leave it in on dry pavement, it does have auto but I still do not think it is wise to leave in this setting when not needed. my 2007 Yukon Denali had full time AWD

2.cant really help here, my 20's look the best IMO

3.it takes regular 87 octane, unless you get the denali with the 6.2L which takes premium

hope this helps

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gents,

Thanks again gents,
Eric

I'm reading four wheel drive, which would have the 2x, auto, and 4x.
The auto position runs the front end gearing as well as the transfer case, but doesn't lock in the wheels themselves until slippage is detected. Leaving it in auto won't hurt anything, but you are using more power and fuel to run the system, and wearing parts that you don't need if it isn't icy.
I never use 4x, and only use auto when it's snowing. Our Tahoe does amazingly well in 2x, so it has to be really piling up before we use auto.

I thought the Denali uses the same system, which I like very much. I didn't see AWD anywhere when I ordered it, and hopefully it doesn't have it.

If ride and utility are your needs, stick with the 18"

The vehicle uses regular gasoline.

Last edited:

Steve1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '15 yukon XL SLT

1. Mine is 2wd so no help here

2. Get 20s ride is super smooth you still have a 55 series tire. It looks weird on 18s in my opinion. The SLT 20 is a great design too and the 18s are a bit ugly in my opinion.

3. Runs like a dream on 87. The 5.3 is silky smooth. Many times I can barely tell it is running!

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

Mo4cQ4R.jpg

Picture of mine on 20s with a 1.5 / 2 drop.

mbd2015LTZ

Reaction score
2015 Denali doesn't use AWD system, it has the same transfer case as the tahoe/reg-yukon platform. It's simple to use- lets you switch from 2WD to Auto to full time 4WD on the fly at nearly any speed, unless your switching to 4WD-low.

HAARubicon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the 4wd. The SLT has 2 options.
1. A single speed transfer case that only does 4 high.
2. A 2 speed transfer case the does 4hi and 4lo.

I do not believe the heavy duty tow package is available with the single speed 4wd system. So if you are towing stuff, be sure to get the two speed system.

I think we lost ride quality but gained good looks with our 22's. Probably would do 20's if I had it to do again. And no, I wont trade my 22's for 20's so nobody ask.

George C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the 4wd. The SLT has 2 options.
1. A single speed transfer case that only does 4 high.
2. A 2 speed transfer case the does 4hi and 4lo.

I do not believe the heavy duty tow package is available with the single speed 4wd system. So if you are towing stuff, be sure to get the two speed system.

I think we lost ride quality but gained good looks with our 22's. Probably would do 20's if I had it to do again. And no, I wont trade my 22's for 20's so nobody ask.

I'm going to take the 22" wheels off for the winter. I'll just pick up a set of 18" or 20" take offs on eBay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700