Buying my first Tahoe PPV - Need Advice Please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the test drive with all radios off and listen as you drive. Go over bumps a few bumps, and put it in a tight turn in a vacant parking lot both in front wheel and four wheel drive. It is worth it to have a third party mechanic look at the truck/SUV. One thing my mentor taught me was to replace all rubber including the tires and shocks, battery, and belts after you buy it. Tires can look great; but some one may have had to put a plug in one, and that could give you problems at high speeds. Trust your instincts and enjoy

Most respectfully

Michael

PPV is pursuit and no 4WD. Still good advice.

In the States, there are limirations for repairs to these types if service vehicles. No plugs on the front, for instance, in this locale. In other words, don't sweat the tires either.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are on Facebook, there is a Tahoe ppl page very helpful. There may not be a lot of miles on these but there are a lot of hrs put on the motors from idling often. They are lower and the rides are little more harder than regular Tahoe’s. I don’t know how the RCMP service differently than in the US but most are done regularly. Once you get it, make sure you pull up the upfitters manual online if there isn’t one included, it will explain more. Hope this helps a little bit.

You can actually check those things, in the DIC, if it has one. (an ODB thing tool might do it too) The Tahoe's computer registers things like, total # engine hours, total amount of fuel used etc. You can sorta tell by the "average speed" (total miles divided by total hours) if that car has been idling for a lot of time.

Ron

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is like buying any other vehicle: check it over well and a test drive is a must.

While these vehicles are likely fleet maintained (some smaller departments will use local shops, not having their own crew to maintain the fleet) and that is seen as a plus, there is the flip-side to consider.

These vehicles are not personally owned, and without the sense of personal ownership they can be abused. Personally assigned ride? Probably well taken care of. Pool car? Likely beat. If it really is a supervisor's ride, and part of a large department, I would say you have a high chance of getting a great vehicle. Now the price!

Take it for a ride and see what you think. The PPV is lower, RWD and rides a bit firm. All of that can be changed though!
Just to give a different perspective.....

For the NC State Surplus, you cannot test drive. You can start the vehicle, put it in gear, but are not allowed to move it at all. And in my case also, my Tahoe was assigned to one patrolman for its entire service life.......so technically it was a 'personal' vehicle in that manner.

When you purchase from the state lot in NC also, you get a printed line-item receipt for every single visit your vehicle was in their shop. From the initial purchase and radio/light install, to every tire replacement, oil change, and each single part replaced......all the way to the stripping and reassembly of the vehicle to prepare for auction. It will surely vary for each state and jurisdiction selling the vehicles, but just so anyone else looking for a PPV or SSV knows......not every area is the same. :)

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is NO such disclosure policy in NY State Surplus auction. But there is some kind of similarity:

you cannot test drive. You can start the vehicle, put it in gear, but are not allowed to move it at all

For the NC State Surplus, you cannot test drive. You can start the vehicle, put it in gear, but are not allowed to move it at all. And in my case also, my Tahoe was assigned to one patrolman for its entire service life.......so technically it was a 'personal' vehicle in that manner.

When you purchase from the state lot in NC also, you get a printed line-item receipt for every single visit your vehicle was in their shop. From the initial purchase and radio/light install, to every tire replacement, oil change, and each single part replaced......all the way to the stripping and reassembly of the vehicle to prepare for auction. It will surely vary for each state and jurisdiction selling the vehicles, but just so anyone else looking for a PPV or SSV knows......not every area is the same

14PPVHOE

Reaction score
Hope you find a nice one. I have a 2014 from Sask as well and I think I got a pretty decent one. Still getting used to the firm ride, but it is a truck after all.....

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope you find a nice one. I have a 2014 from Sask as well and I think I got a pretty decent one. Still getting used to the firm ride, but it is a truck after all.....

They are out there. If the price was right, I'd buy my work Tahoe.

Solace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd pull the trigger if it was in good working condition. Try to see if they have the maintenance records and if it has had any previous issues.

sanco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to be a downer but when buying a former police vehicle ALWAYS assume that it was a full out patrol vehicle. even if it was a "supervisor's" vehicle, it idled constantly and that in a grand scale of things is just the same as putting on miles on the car. We have supervisor vehicles pushing 5 to 10000 idle hours, so you might be getting a low mileage car but the high idle hours would be the equivelant of adding on tens of thousands of miles on the odometer.

I have owned 2 crown victorias and a SSV tahoe in the past, not to mention that i drive the cars at work. You want to pay attention to the details of the vehicle. Look at the vinyl flooring, any extreme wear will be a red flag. Same goes with how much care was put into installing old equipment, scratches throughout the exterior might tell you that hey this thing has some battle scars (highly doubt it was admin at that point). The way equipment was removed might tell you how well it was cared for, if the wires are correctly plugged or sealed and the roof holed are carefully capped then the maintenance department actually gives a damn. door hinge issued are pretty common on patrol tahoes, the door fails to close properly and might be a sign of a lot more use than you are being told.

Supervisor line is used all the freakin time in used police car sales, I would not believe it for a second. Do a full inspection and make sure everything checks out.

Also, running carfax wont show you issued with fleet vehicles usually, you want the car inspected for any damage, quite bit of patrol vehicles come in contact with objects on the road (barriers, buildings, dumpsters, curbs, poles, poles, poles lol, and so forth....) none of these repairs are reported but have potential to cause major driveability issues.

But all that said and you take the right precautions, you can get your hands on a killer deal, just do your careful research and enjoy what could be years of care free ownership

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts