Budget rebuild items?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I looked at that block, this rivet thingy came to mind:

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I looked at that block, this rivet thingy came to mind:

So this was a non-DOD engine (allegedly), and I was curious if there should have been AFM oil passages. That's what those are, right?

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now THAT is a satisfying picture for my OCD. Everything is in order, and you kept the rod bearings and caps together because they're neither reversible nor interchangeable. Nice.

And, after a trip to the machine shop, those parts will look like brand new.

I feel like I'm stuck in a decision loop. To send the heads to the shop I'd want to have them install new valve seals. But when choosing the seals I figure get a kit (or not?) with an upgraded cam and valve springs. The problem is I'm not sure which cam to focus on.

I'm looking to keep/improve down-low torque. It won't be a racecar, and I'm not super concerned with 6000+ RPM gains as the deciding factor.

I like the Truck Norris cam, but am trying to compare to some of the offerings from Cam Motion, and others if worth it. Thoughts?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Precision, PLEASE.
The block has Engine Half@$$ for sure.
Were all the lifters the same, or were some of them Half@$$ lifters?
(Obviously, don't want no Half@$$'n.)

Just compare cams til you find one that makes as much (if not more) torque / power UNDER 3500RpM compared to the one you just took out of that engine.

OP
OP
Charlie207

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Precision, PLEASE.
The block has Engine Half@$$ for sure.
Were all the lifters the same, or were some of them Half@$$ lifters?
(Obviously, don't want no Half@$$'n.)

Just compare cams til you find one that makes as much (if not more) torque / power UNDER 3500RpM compared to the one you just took out of that engine.

Here are the photos of the lifters, as I pulled them from the block:

t6p6uch.jpg
5LOCmYA.jpg
EW5mPyx.jpg

dBywEsz.jpg
ZkKwvSv.jpg

Attachments

• t6p6uch.jpg
    t6p6uch.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like I'm stuck in a decision loop. To send the heads to the shop I'd want to have them install new valve seals. But when choosing the seals I figure get a kit (or not?) with an upgraded cam and valve springs. The problem is I'm not sure which cam to focus on.

I'm looking to keep/improve down-low torque. It won't be a racecar, and I'm not super concerned with 6000+ RPM gains as the deciding factor.

I like the Truck Norris cam, but am trying to compare to some of the offerings from Cam Motion, and others if worth it. Thoughts?
I'm using a Summit SUM-8718R1 on my recent LQ4 rebuild project for my 06 Suburban 2500. It's like a towing cam. No springs required and I've read not much tuning required...I'm about to find out, LOL. IDK if you can use that one your engine, it has the 3 bolt for the sprocket. You may have to get rid of the VVT?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar