Bricked BCM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rilesnpsd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hoping someone can help! Truck is dead.
2006 Yukon Denali - BB Tuned- Stage 2 cam.

Recently installed a tune update from Justin @ BB. Truck was running great and has been fine.
Decided to clear a P101 code from before the recent updated tune.
Should have just left it... lol.

Used my Autel **** pro to clear codes- half way through clearing codes stored, service stabilitrak/TC disabled popped on dash. NOT GOOD I immediately thought.
I let it finish clearing, now it will crank but wont start.
Since it would crank but not turn over, I tried to reload the stock flash from bb since I figured something got deleted. Midway through trying to flash the stock calibration back in with the autocal, it fails the attempt and says "voltage low" and wont finish loading the flash. (truck has a new battery)
Thought it may be my radio, removed the fuses and tried it again. No dice.

I thought I bricked the ECM. Mailed it to Justin and he had no problem flashing it. He mailed it back yesterday I popped it into truck.
Same thing, crank, no start and then the service stabilitrak pops up. No security symbol is up on dash, so I'm pretty sure its not the security??

Did I screw up my BCM somehow with clearing the codes? Suggestions?
Need to get this thing running! HELP!

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you writing the tune? HP Tuners or similar?

Clearing a code should not cause any issues on the ECU.

When I've written back a basic ECU modification I put a charger on my battery on the vehicle as extra precaution. If you writing the tune back to the ECU and have a power outage, that's when the ECU gets damaged.

They were able to re-write your ECU, so that means it's still good.

OP
OP
rilesnpsd

rilesnpsd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How are you writing the tune? HP Tuners or similar?

Clearing a code should not cause any issues on the ECU.

When I've written back a basic ECU modification I put a charger on my battery on the vehicle as extra precaution. If you writing the tune back to the ECU and have a power outage, that's when the ECU gets damaged.

They were able to re-write your ECU, so that means it's still good.
Tune was done by Black bear- EFI Live.
ECU is fine per black bear… that’s why I’m thinking BCM…

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tune was done by Black bear- EFI Live.
ECU is fine per black bear… that’s why I’m thinking BCM…
did you address or check the maf issue? (p0101)
did you check for fuel pressure?
spark?
grounds?
always start with the basics before condemning something less likely.

on the other hand if you do not suspect any of that stuff then from my own experience I have had some strange stuff come up when connecting a tech2 to the obd, all kinds of weird messages and it is or was a bad connection/ground from the bcm to the fuse box, on mine the harness connectors were dangling under the fuse box because the retention clip had broken, so I zip tied them back where they should be and the problem has not returned.
there are a couple pins you can check on the obd port to verify the lan is intact that might be a place to start.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rilesnpsd

rilesnpsd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
did you address or check the maf issue? (p0101)
did you check for fuel pressure?
spark?
grounds?
always start with the basics before condemning something less likely.

on the other hand if you do not suspect any of that stuff then from my own experience I have had some strange stuff come up when connecting a tech2 to the obd, all kinds of weird messages and it is or was a bad connection/ground from the bcm to the fuse box, on mine the harness connectors were dangling under the fuse box because the retention clip had broken, so I zip tied them back where they should be and the problem has not returned.
there are a couple pins you can check on the obd port to verify the lan is intact that might be a place to start.
I’ll check grounds again today-
Ecm ground on back of head, G102 and the one by the battery..
so weird it was fine until I cleared the codes and then nothing.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Any aftermarket devices installed? I know that most tuners recommend/require aftermarket radios, alarms, etc. to be disabled before attempting programming other modules.

OP
OP
rilesnpsd

rilesnpsd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Any aftermarket devices installed? I know that most tuners recommend/require aftermarket radios, alarms, etc. to be disabled before attempting programming other modules.
Yes, I have an aftermarket Radio but pulled both radio and amp fuse and tried it, no dice.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe a BCM would prevent the engine from starting, at least not in 99-02 trucks. I did V6 to V8 swap on my 99 Silverado and accidentally left my V6 fuseblock when I hooked up the battery back up. I damaged my cluster and BCM. I opened up the BCM and there was something fried inside and recall a burnt smell before I realized my mistake. But after swapping the V8 fuseblock, truck started just fine. I had to source another cluster and BCM from the junkyard and everything works good.

But I may wrong on the later trucks? I know the 03-06 wirings are very different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019