Brake pedal goes to floor after I start the engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wiggybaby67

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed a new master cylinder and new pads and rotors all they way around. Had to replace the front right caliper as well. After bleeding the brake system, there was a lot of air in that new caliper. The pedal feels good. After I start the engine though, the pedal has no pressure and goes to the floor. Yes, the new caliper is mounted correctly with the bleed screw on top. I was very careful not to draw down the level in the reservoir and I am not getting any more air bubbles when bleeding.
I would appreciate any help
2003 Tahoe LT with 4WD and Automatic transmission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Maybe a bad master cylinder ? assume it did not do that before you replaced it ?
Especially if you bottomed out the brake pedal while bleeding. Should use a 2x4 at the floor to keep from having the brake pedal hit the floor during the bleeding process.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

You can get a pressure bleeder and attempt to do the bleeding. Check you tube videos for the steps. Have seen where the Tech II is used too with the air in ABS system. These brake systems do not bleed out like the older systems.
I did not know this when I replaced calipers... I ended up pushing the pedal to the floor.

I guess I got lucky! I managed to not do any damage. Brakes came back nice and solid.

Now I know to not let that happen... Thanks for the tips, teaching us from your experience!

lisach

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Especially if you bottomed out the brake pedal while bleeding. Should use a 2x4 at the floor to keep from having the brake pedal hit the floor during the bleeding process.
Could you please explain the problem with bottoming out the brake pedal when bleeding? And does this apply only to certain types of brake systems?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you apply it to all brake systems, you don't have to worry about it. In some master cylinders, you can flip a cup inside the cylinder bore if you bottom out the pedal. Can it happen on yours, hell I don't know but if you assume it can and keep from bottoming out, that potential problem is not to be worried about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26